Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need instructions on how to replace timing chain

Need instructions on how to replace timing chain

I'm going to replace the timing chain on our 99 400ex over the wnter months. Last winter I did the top end, bored 2 over, replaced piston, rings, valve seals and a few minor things. But, in the back of my mind I wish I'd replaced the timing chain, timing chain guide, and chain adjuster. So I'd like to take care of that this winter.

Is there a video or step by step instruction manual anywhere? I looked at the repair manual I have, and it was not real specific. I do plan on replacing the chain with that of the CRF, but with CRF 250 or 450, and for which year?

thanks
    2000 KTM 300 EXC (two stroke heaven)
    1999 Honda 400EX
    Bored to a 406
    Lonestar carrier
    CRF450 timing chain
    1994 Suzuki 250F

02 crf450 chain will work. take your head cover off, and right side cover(one with the clutch in it) you will have to unbolt clutch and basket, along with a couple of other bolts that hold the gear on behind that. the cam can get lifted up to take the tension off of it and you should be able to drop the chain out. when installing make sure you take the tensioner out or at least get the little tool that goes in it to lock it closed so there wont be any tension on it when buttoning everything up. once it is all back in enough to have tension on the chain when it is back on the sprockets with the head cover back on you can release the tensioner to put the correct tension on it. if you dont have the correct locking tool you can use a small flat head to move it in. i would recommend taking it out though since you can look at it, work it and inspect it while it is out. make sure you have new gaskets cause the side cover one(if never off before)will be torn and need replacing. torque it all down and you will be all set! steve
    2019 Maverick X3 XDS Turbo R
    2003 TRX 400EX
    2016 HONDA RANCHER

Thanks Steve, I didn't think it was too difficult, but I wanted to be sure before I tore into her...
    1999 Honda 400EX
    Bored to a 406
    Lonestar carrier
    CRF450 timing chain
    1994 Suzuki 250F

Got any more issues feel free to ask, Im usually around and have replace a few chains. its not that hard, just time consuming.

some key points fyi:
    Biggest thing is scraping of the old side cover gasket-its like baked on and took me FOREVER using scrapers and razor blades. Make sure you get one of these before you start!!!

Also the clutch detent can be kinda tricky, gotta align it just right and the cover will go back on and the clutch will engage properly.

Lastly, make sure you dont over tighten the clutch bolts that hold the clutch basket cover on. They just get snugged and you should do this in a star like pattern.

Also, since the clutch basket will need to come off, you really need a clutch holding tool to do it. i got mine form rocky mtn for like 20 bucks. Also need a 1 1/8 socket iirc to remove the large staked on nut. I used an impact gun and it makes the job soooo much easier.

Manual will show you how to do the entire job btw.

When I help a friend rebuild the lower end in his KX125 we just used an impact gun while I held the clutch basket, but I think its time to spend $20 for the proper tool.

Will I need to remove the bottom timing gear, or will be able to slip the new chain into place?

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.
    1999 Honda 400EX
    Bored to a 406
    Lonestar carrier
    CRF450 timing chain
    1994 Suzuki 250F

I cant recall if it actually has to come off, but it doesnt matter it doesnt line up with anything. The most important part is aligning the cam gear.

Im trying to remember , but seems like you have to take the oil pump off too ,anybody ?

Originally posted by togup
    Im trying to remember , but seems like you have to take the oil pump off too ,anybody ?
    Makes two of us, but even so it all goes together fine-there are no marks you gotta line up at all for them and several of the gears can only go on one way thank god.

u don't need to remove the oil pump

Thanks for the info guys, my plans are to replace the timing chain once the snow flys. So if I'm not mistaken, its not difficult, just time consuming. One thing I've learned the hard way is to take pictures as I dismantle the bike.. it sure helps when trying to figure out how to put it back together.

I'll add this to my list of winter projects. Right now the list looks like new cam bearing, upgraded timing chain, new timing chain tensioner, maybe a stage 1 hot cam...
    1999 Honda 400EX
    Bored to a 406
    Lonestar carrier
    CRF450 timing chain
    1994 Suzuki 250F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast