Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 GNCC Series Round #5-Loretta Lynns-Hurricane Mills-Afternoon Coverage

2007 GNCC Series Round #5-Loretta Lynns-Hurricane Mills-Afternoon Coverage

Dateline: Hurricane Mills Tennessee
    date: April 28, 2007
    Subject: Matt Smiley is back!

I could not help but open this coverage without first acknowledging Matt Smiley's return to the Podium this round. We all have followed Matt the past few years and watched him go through issues that kept him, for what ever reason you would like to assign, off the podium and out of the hunt for a championship.

This season was unclear as it began with Matt aboard a Honda with teammate Chris Borich, but one thing that was clear is that Matt had not lost one ounce of determination to win. It may have taken a few rounds for him to shake loose the past two seasons, but shake them he did!

A huge congratulations to Matt for his effort at this round from everyone here at Atvriders.com!

Afternoon Gallery #1

Afternoon Gallery #2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Loretta Lynn's Ranch, located in Hurricane Mills Tennessee is home to round #5 on the GNCC series. It also marks the oldest stop on the tour and for good reason. Loretta Lynn's is world known for the MX events held there each year that bring in the worlds top talent to compete.

The ranch itself is worthy of a tour, and they are offered for anyone so inclined to take one of the many that are offered. The scenary around the world famous singers property is stunning.

The start would be held on the motocross track, but the majority of that track would remain unused for this event. Racer Productions kept the start area watered to control the dust prior to the start of the event

Defending GNCC Champion Bill Ballance sits and reflects before being called to the line. Ballance has had his work cut out for him in 2007, and none of it has been easy. With his win at the opening round, followed by his repeat at round #2, set the stage for what appeared to be a sure sign the champ had things in place to make a run at GNCC title #8.

Enter Chris Borich. Member number two of this one two punch that wished nothing more to unseat Ballance from his throne. Borich made a stand at round #3 and backed it up with another valiant run taking the win at round 4, placing the pair in a stranglehold for the points lead.

Ballance is wise, talented and determined, and heading into this round he knew he needed to keep borich in check.

Other riders are still to leave their mark on the class favorites, with names like Sturdivant, Mc Gill, Lenig and McClure all wanting badly to be the one who throws a wrench into the top gun's plans.

The stage was being set for this round and as with each round, the slate is clean until the flag drops. Chris Bithell had already scored two top three finishes this season, and is quietly making his own stand behind the series heavyweights. Could this round mark the unseating of Ballance or Borich and add a new name to the win sheet.

And one can not dismiss William Yokely, the factory backed kawasaki rider who wants desperatley to get that new machine upfront and show everyone he can win with it!

Tennessee may be the volunteer state, but you wouldnt find one person to volunteer to give up the chance to be crowned the winner of todays event. For some, it would be a turning point of the season, for others a second chance to stave off earlier problems, and for others yet another race plagued with issues that no one can predict.

With the start watered well, i took up a position at turn two as I felt this is where most of the action would come from. I heard the "Ten Seconds " call and 24 XC1 riders quads fired to life and the ground shook as they hit the first corner.

Out of my sight, the engine noise silenced for a split second as i could picture the field braking hard and then the loud rush of power was once again unleashed as a mad dash for turn two was underway!

Cocentrating through my lens, I could only speculate who would be the first rider to be the object of my attention, but the wait was short lived as Taylor Kiser rounded the turn hard on the throttle leading the pack as this round was underway!

Life at the start happens for me 1/4000 of a second at a time, each picture breaking down the action. As the blackness created when my shutter closes, the race changes frame by frame. No sooner then I had time to register Kiser as the leader, I immediatley picked up Borich and Ballance running mid pack at the start

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast