Thread: 2002 400ex back brake caliper

2002 400ex back brake caliper

My back brake caliper won't let me put new pads on I believe something is bent or not in the right place or something.
    Attached Images Attached Images

the pins the the caliper body slide on are froze up

Try taking a pair of big channel locks and push the part of the caliper with the slide pins back. It might not work and as 400man said they could be frozen
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

Where are the side pins?

I use a C-clamp to push mine back. Had one awhile back that was frozen. Had to use a impact gun and a torch to get out. Cleaned it and put anti-seize and grease and reinstalled.
    05 Honda 426ex built for the woods
    (88mm Wiseco piston w/Stage2 HotCam)
    FMF Powerbomb Header w/2 Brothers Racing silencer,Pro-Taper mid bend fat bars w/Modquad Fatbar clamp,AVS clutch lever and perch,AVS front brake lever,Modquad billet rear brake lever,ESR Billet case saver,ESR billet shifter,Modified Stock a-arm w/zerk fittings w/
    Modquad brass bushings,Elka triple rate front shocks, greaseable Armor-tech rear carrier, Clarke 5.5 gallon desert tank, DG front Stadium bumper,DG A-arm guards,AC Racing belly skid,Pro Armor swing-arm skidplate, Maxis Rzr2 front and rear,PRM six-pack rack,HEP Rear caliper guard,HEP tool box and the list goes on!

Quote Originally Posted by mattmck7 View Post
    Where are the side pins?
    Under the rubber pieces.
    If it's stupid, and it works, it isn't stupid. - Murphy's Law
    2000 426EX,sold
    2004 450R WIP
    -Longtime A.A.D.S. (Accessory Acquisition Disorder Syndrome) sufferer.
    400EX Frequently Asked Questions, CHECK HERE FIRST!

How would you take the rubber pieces off?

ive never had any lucking fixing them once they froze up bad. you can either trying fixing yours, look for another good caliper, or upgrade to a 450r rear caliper if you wanna spend a little extra money.

And how much should the clutch lifter move when the clutch is fully disengaged?

Quote Originally Posted by 400man View Post
    ive never had any lucking fixing them once they froze up bad. you can either trying fixing yours, look for another good caliper, or upgrade to a 450r rear caliper if you wanna spend a little extra money.
    x2 on this. Mine froze and we tried the hot wrench several times and it was a no go. Bought a used 450 off of eBay and said to hell with it. I was more than happy with it.
    2002 Ford Ranger (Red, Westin Brush Guard, K&N CAI, Clearance Lights, couple other little things)
    2012 RAM Power Wagon (Black, Line X, Weathertech, Cover King, Flowmaster, Tinted, DiabloSport Trinity, Rertro Shop Custom Headlights, Leveled)
    2006 450R (MX/Dune/QFMX Machine)
    2005 407EX (XC, GNCC, Harescramble Machine, Not much left that's stock, PICS)

R.I.P. Caleb Moore, you will not be forgotten.
    R.I.P. Tyler Saxton, I'll never forget you bud.