Thread: 400ex engine questions

400ex engine questions

Hey I'm sort of new here but have been a long time mechanic. I bought a 400ex that was totally disassembled and now I am working on getting it back together. I need to know if there is a gasket that goes under the rocker cover. I didn't take mine apart so I didn't know. Plus my gasket kit did not come with one so i used rtv. I had to readjust my valve clearances also in order to get enough compression for it to run. Secondly when I first started it up I had the plugs on the left side of the engine removed for looking at the timing marks and once it fired I promptly got a bunch of hot oil sprayed on me. Is the stator supposed to run in oil like that? Thanks for the help in advance.
    THE ANGLE OF THE DANGLE IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE HEAT OF THE MEAT PROVIDED THE MASS OF THE *** STAYS CONSTANT

yes there is a valve cover gasket that is metal so it is reusable.
    There may be some oil on that side, but shouldn't be much if any. i had some in mine on that side, but it was barelly any. do you have alot, like a puddle?
    Total Performance llc,
    http://www.totalperformance-llc.com

89' 330r
    lrd adj. pipe
    TP Race porting
    39 PWK carb
    Houser LT
    Elka LT F+R
    holeshots

yes there is sopposed to be oil there. The bottom of the crankcase is open ( hole ) so that oil can get in. And all your wirering is sealed so you don't have to worry.

And like Knips saied there is a steel gasket.
    ECPerformance 450R

E-mail: trx500ex@hotmail.com

thanks gents
    THE ANGLE OF THE DANGLE IS DIRECTLY RELATED TO THE HEAT OF THE MEAT PROVIDED THE MASS OF THE *** STAYS CONSTANT