05 450R

last year I ran an HMF slip-on with stage 1 hotcam and UNI with no lid. Other than that bone stock.

My jetting was as follows: 180 main, 50 pilot, 4th clip down on the stock needle, and 2 1/2 turns out on air screw.

It ran slightly rich this way as my plug was a darker brown, but not black by any means, and it ran excellent with no hesitation from idle to instant full throttle.

I just did complete rebuild from the crank up, with the following changes... HRC cam, Nmotion full exhaust, and JE 11.5:1 std bore piston. I put in a bunch of new stuff like bearings and seals and what not, but the cam, exhaust, and piston would be the only things that could effect how it is running.

On startup it starts , but has a rough idle. If it shuts off it usually takes 5 or 6 starts to kick while warm (this is unusual). I didn't change any jetting as I thought it was rich before so the increase in air flow should be about right with the richer jetting. As I said rough idle, head pipe slightly glows red, played with the air screw by turning up the idle and making small adjustments to the air screw and giving it a few seconds to change, and this seemed to make absolutely no difference. I went from 1 turn out to 3 turns out on the screw and no change in idle at all. Im thinking 52 pilot for that part.

Now when I rev the motor up I get puffs of black smoke... so its rich still. I take it for a drive on a long driveway and it revs up good has good power but nearing top rpm it seems the power falls off and stops pulling. Im thinking possibly leaning to a 175?

It seems to me its lean at idle, rich in the middle, and lean possibly on top? or would it fall on its face from being too rich on top? Can anyone agree or disagree with my diagnosis? I think I will try a 52 pilot 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 turns out, keep it on the 4th clip, 175 main.

Thanks for the help guys and girls.