Thread: Polishing

Threaded View

Talking Polishing

I know many of you would like to know how to polish to make your rides looking just as good as ever! Your not the only ones.
    In this thread I will try my best to explain the whole process of polishing and a few little tricks!

This is a very cheap, easy way to polish.. I wrote this up for the few who don't have buffers or dremels..

Supplies needed:
    Paint stripper you can get it from wal-mart

Mothers mag & aluminum polish or Black Magic you can also pick this up at wal-mart.

Sand Paper- 180,220,400,600,800,900,1000,1500,2000 grits

Rags- Old t-shirts work wonders.

Steel wool-You can get this in any cleaning section of stores.

Now that we have the supplies listed we can start with the polishing part. (yaaah) Before sanding or even stripping make sure the part is Aluminum! To find out if the part is or not its best to find a place that the paint is worn off and take your mothers, or what have you and polish the area. If it shines then you have aluminum. If not you have steel. Its best to check on the website and check what peices are aluminum and not.

Once you have found out if its aluminum or not you can start to strip the paint off. (If the piece is painted) Take your paint stripper that you bought and spray it on the peice. WARNING- Paint stripper does burn when it gets on you, wear eye protection and gloves!- Leave the part sit for 5-10 minutes and take the steel wool and roughly clean the paint off, This process may need to be repeated till nessary because of heavy coats of paint on differnt parts!

After you are done your paint stripper its time to sand. getting closer dont give up just yet! Its best to judge what type of grit to use my the surface of the part. If the part is fairy smooth you will start with 400, if its rough (cast parts) its best to start with 180 . When sanding sand till it feels easy to sand then move up a grit. Do this till you are up to atleast 1,000-1,500 range. The higher you go the better the shine!

Now for the part you have been waiting for! Polishing! Now that your done the hardest part of the job why give up just yet? Take your polishing product that you had bought and put it on the rag and continue to rub the product that you sanded till you get a BLACK resadue. Once you get this take a clean rag and wipe clean. Continue this process until the whole part is shinny.

Now you can polish your own parts without sending them out and blowing away 30-70 bucks!

Once done your parts should look something like this, if not shinnyer!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I've had banshees, 250rs.. miss them all!

1986 ATC200X