Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: K&N to Foam Filter

K&N to Foam Filter

after reading about the air cleaning capabilities of a k&n i want to switch back to a foam filter. however i have the pro design base plate in my airbox. i was wondering if i could just order a replacement foam filter and it would mount right up to the base plate? curious if the foam and k&n's are the same size.
    04 Z400

You can get the foam filter through a company like Rocky Mountain ATV. Check with site sponsors first, as they keep the boards goingl.

I switched to the foam as well for dusty conditions and they fit fine. Just make sure you are getting the Pro Design filter.
    05 YFZ 450

HMF , FCI Intake, AC Pro Peg Nerfs, IMS Bumper, PRM Swinger and Belly Skids, Pro Taper Fat Bars on Trail Tech Clamp, Gibson Stabilizer, Powemadd Handguards.

thanks alot-i thought the foam might just go right on but i wanted to make sure
    04 Z400

What is the deal with people saying K&N filters aren't any good, and don't filter. I ride in some hellasish dusty conditions, and everytime i clean my K&N airfliter its as clean as a whistle on the inside of the filter,my airboot everything is still clean. I think when somebody has a bad expierence with a k&n. Its either damaged where it needs to be replaced, cleaned it wrong and tore something up, dont' know how to oil it or something.

Originally posted by rooster300ex
    What is the deal with people saying K&N filters aren't any good, and don't filter. I ride in some hellasish dusty conditions, and everytime i clean my K&N airfliter its as clean as a whistle on the inside of the filter,my airboot everything is still clean. I think when somebody has a bad expierence with a k&n. Its either damaged where it needs to be replaced, cleaned it wrong and tore something up, dont' know how to oil it or something.
    Amen.
    I've been running K&N for almost 9 years on my 300ex. I haven't seen these "claims" that others have stated either. Hell, I've had the filter completely submerged in water, and it doesn't even let water through. Missouri is very very very dusty, and I haven't seen these dust issues others talk about either.

I know it doesn't filter as well.. but it's microns difference not large amounts.

I think a lot of people hit their filters with a power washer, or just a hose nozzle intentionally or unintentionally when cleaning them or washing the quad. They have to have water poured through them when cleaning.. no pressure. Water with any pressure behind it will tear the guase, and the wrong detergents will eat the glue sealing the edges.

I garauntee.. that people put way more contaminents into their engines by running too rich than they ever do through a properly maintained K&N.
    Brandon -O||||O-
    1998 Honda TRX300EX (330)

9 years!?! thats interesting. the thread i was reading was on the central and one of the guys had his k&n for 3 years with an outerwear and his head and valves had pits in them from the particles and sand the k&n let through. so maybe he just needed to replace his damaged k&n? i dont pressure wash mine, i clean it after every ride and re oil it so i thought i was in good shape. maybe just a little paranoid huh? thanks for the info
    04 Z400

I can take a picture of the intake port of my head to prove there is no pitting or wear. It looks as good as the day it was installed.
    Brandon -O||||O-

there are so many opinions on this, and you are never going to get a consensus...

but i do agree that much of the problems with the K&N is do to user error...

i have 3 K&Ns and one UNI, and the UNI gets lucky to be used once a year...
    06 YFZ450
    1988 TRX 250R
    2001 XR 50
    1984 Honda 200S
    1776 Turbo Sandrail

Aye.. it's Chevy vs. Ford vs. Mopar.
    Brandon -O||||O-

I used K&N on my 400EX and everytime there would be dust particles on the inside of my intake tube. Filter was brand new, used K&N filter cleaner and oil and never put any pressure on it. Nothing else was wrong with my intake, I checked everything to make sure there were no other openings and everything was sealed fine. I guess it just works for some people and doesn't work for others. I've used foam filters since and never had a problem. The very slight performance gain by switching to the K&N isn't that important to me so why even bother if there is a chance it might not filter as well as the foam.
    Neal C. Tody - ntadej@hotmail.com
    -2005 SE Yamaha YFZ450 - Pro Design Pro-Flow Intake, Renthal YFZ Bend Handlebars, AC Bumper, AC Nerfs, Holeshot MX 20" fronts and 18" rears, +2 Burgard Standard A-arms, +4 G-Force Axle, front shocks with the DeRisi Racing Pro Millenium Kit valved for MX (Would never recommend to anyone).
    -2000 Banshee - Found. Damn meth heads even destroyed my brand new engine. They've still got my HiPers too, SOB.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast