Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rev box question

rev box question

Have stock 400ex with what I was told is a WB rev box on it.The box looks like factory stock with a WB engraved on it.Having a hard time starting in colder weather.Want to go back to stock box as I have no need for the WB box if that is what it is.Jetting is good.Is this a WB box? Thanks

Yes it is probably a wb box, most aftermarket cdi's look just like the stock ones. If you need a stock cdi, I have one for sale.

try searching for rev box,from what i hear this is the proplem with these,thats why i havent bought one
    retired from racing

Ive had two different boxes. Ive had the XR250's and the WB's. (rumor has it they are the same)

Ill get bashed for this, but I disagree on the starting problem. Up your pilot jet and it should fix the problem. (worked on my machine) I got rid of mine cause of the extra RPMs.... My valves were screaming for mercy.
    No matter what you ride, its all good.
    -------------------------

2000 440EX (Sold)
    --------------------------
    2003 Polaris Predator (Sold)

yes, it's a WB box. I had one, if the battery doesn't have FULL charge it will not start the bike. sold mine & put the stock one back in ,starts fine now.
    2000 400ex WHITE BROTHERS E-SERIES PIPE
    K&N JET KIT & FILTER
    RENTHAL BARS, MSR RAPTOR CLUTCH LEVER & "TINNER SCOOPS" SHOCKWEARS,BLACK OEM HONDA SEAT
    AC-FRONT BUMBER, PRM- GRAB BAR & SKID PLATE,
    DURABLUE AXLE, PRO DESIGN KILL SWITCH,
    DG- NERF BARS with WIDE FOOT PEGS

Originally posted by trailburner
    yes, it's a WB box. I had one, if the battery doesn't have FULL charge it will not start the bike. sold mine & put the stock one back in ,starts fine now.
    I recently bought a Sparks box and I had the same prob. Granted my battery is almost 5 years old but it still starts with the stock box. When installing the CS, I had to charge the battery for a couple of mins and then it started fine. Do all of these aftermarket boxes do this?

rev box for sale

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Craig02
    Yes it is probably a wb box, most aftermarket cdi's look just like the stock ones. If you need a stock cdi, I have one for sale. [/QUOTE ] How much do you want for your stock box?

I have my stock rev box and my WB, piggy backed together, I live in Michigan and its cold, I start it with the stocker and after the quad warms up I just flip it to the WB. Works for me.
    2001 Sportrax 440 ex
    2004 Artic Cat 500 TRV

440 big bore kit,Ported and Polished FCR 39 mm from
    Stage 2 hot cam
    White Brothers E-series full Exhaust,
    K&N air Filter,Air Box Mods,Rev. Box,Sidewinder sprockets,Renthal Gold series chain,
    Works shocks,Pro taper Bars,Douglas 190Holeshot XCR 21/7/10 front,
    Holeshot XCR 20/11/9 rear,DG Nerfs,DG Bumper,Barnett clutch,Hinson Basket
    Roll design pegs,NStyle Gripper seat cover,Baja frame guards,MSR shifter,Maier Hand Guards,Pro design kill switch,Motion Pro throttle

" Burn rubber not your soul "

Argueing on the internet only makes the rest of us dumber for having to read it

Originally posted by Giz400ex
    I recently bought a Sparks box and I had the same prob. Granted my battery is almost 5 years old but it still starts with the stock box. When installing the CS, I had to charge the battery for a couple of mins and then it started fine. Do all of these aftermarket boxes do this?

i hear the gt thunder and tc boxes both enable you to start your bike like the stock cdi would. i will probably order the gt thunder box next week.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

Do a search for more detailed information, but the WB cdi is an XR250 cdi. It has an "anti kickback" circuit that prevents spark below a certain rpm to keep the kickstarter on an XR250 from slapping the back of your leg. If your battery isn't fully charged (especially on high compression engines), then the starter won't turn your engine over fast enough overcome the circuit; hence the starting problems. I sold mine and went back to stock. Another option is to buy a modified 400ex cdi. You can tell the difference by size, the XR250 cdi is quite a bit smaller. Most places that offer the modified cdi will require you to send in your stock box for modification or as a core.
    '00 416ex -- 11:1 Wiseco, stage 1 HotCams, LEXX slip-on w/ modded header, ASR +2 arms, 450r shocks, G-Force axle, FST style cooler, Trail Tech bars and clamp

Temporarily retired from my extremely short (but successful) racing career.

Maybe some IXCR in the near future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast