Thread: Cut Your Gas Cap Vent Hose Shorter

Cut Your Gas Cap Vent Hose Shorter

I had a problem last weekend, I was getting a bog and backfire out the pipe on hard acceleration. Motor was totally stock, only thing I did was clean the airfliter.
    I thought maybe I got a speck of dirt stuck in the carb from doing the filter. anyway my friend works at a Honda shop here and he was going to put my cam pipe, and goodies on for me this weekend, so he said he would address the bog and backfire at the same time.
    Long story short fellas, I had water in my gas tank and in the bowl of the carb!
    He told me I had bad gas and I was like your nuts, I had a 5 gallon can and I filled mine up and my buddies 400ex at the same time, his ran fine over the weekend and mine ran like crap on Sunday, Saturday it was fine.
    He right away asked me if I washed it off Saturday and I told him I did. Next he asked me how I did it, I told him I washed it off with my pressure washer and I had it on it's rear wheels with the gas shut off.
    He just smiled and laughed at me. He said pull the gas cap vent hose out of the steering stem, I did, and I knew right away what happened. That hose is about 26 inches long!!!! I blew water in the tank threw the gas cap vent hose when I had it on the rear wheels. Anyway guys cut your vent hose a little shorter and pinch it off when you wash it. Why Honda left that hose that long is beyond me. Just my 2 cents and a tip from my misfortune.
    Hit the gas and grin!

2004 TRX 450Fn'R
    Lonestar Axle, LSR AntiFade Hub
    Pro Tapers, Accerbis Handguards
    Beadlocks, Razr MX'ers
    Sparks X6 Race Exhaust
    Sparks Aggresive Drop Camshaft
    Sparks Jet Kit & Filter Kit
    A/C Nerfs
    Blingstar Iron Cross Bumper
    RTC Clutch Perch, and Lever
    PRM Radiator Shrouds
    Denton Adj. Steering Dampner
    Houser +1 Steering Stem, w/Anti-Vibe
    ASR A-Arms +2w,+1F
    Elka Triple Rates (ssd) with Remote Rezzy's

That is a good one,,, I wash mine like that too.... Thanks
    04 trx450R
    94 XR 600R, for sale
    86 ATC 350X, for sale
    86 XR 80R
    85 XR 350R, for sale
    82 XR 500R
    81 CR 450R elsinore
    72 Z50A minitrail
    70 QA50 cm90 motor in it

That happened to my EX,the steering stem fills with water and every time you wheelie or stand the quad up the same thing happened.Even leaving your quad out in the rain can cause this to happen if the stem isn't covered.They shoud have a drain hole at the bottom of the stem.
    robman

Yeah I noticed how long the vent hose was. Couldn't believe it. Like a garden hose or something.
    Arctic Cat DVX 300
    Can Am DS 70

Past Rides:
    04 V Force
    04 TRX 450R
    02 400ex
    01 250ex
    87 Tecate 4
    85 Tri-Z
    84 200x

Just get an aluminum one way valve off of ebay...They are like 14 bux shipped and then you dont have a hose anymore...
    04 trx450r... ,pro design intake,02 crf cam,...

Originally posted by robby26wi
    Just get an aluminum one way valve off of ebay...They are like 14 bux shipped and then you dont have a hose anymore...
    Interesting. Got a link? I couldn't find one.
    Been there...beat that.