Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Battery

Dead Battery

I'm having trouble with my batteries. I don't think it's the overcharging thing because the battery can still be recharged. I have had the stock battery and two of the YT12A-BS batteries die. My fan runs a lot and I race with the lights on, so is it possible that the battery is actually being drained faster than it is charging? I know the lights don't run off the battery, but the fan does.
    GNCC/Mideast #146
    450R
    400EX

turn off the lights. the charging system cant keep up with the fan and the lights. the charging system is supplying all it can and then the battery is being drained because current demand is higher then available output
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Why is your fan running all the time. The only time mine has ever even turned on is when I leave it idling for a long time.
    Something must not be right. I would check your radiator cap or maybe even your water pump seal.

his ran runs alot during the 2 hour long races he participates in.

Pappy, Hey I know your the batery guru and all, but this YFZ battery issue make 0 sense... we both run into and talk to alot of racers right!! Well I'm gettin so many different combos of problems its a lil confusing...

heres my 2 cents: first of all 2 hour race or not Wingnuts got a cooling problem. My fan has run 2 times since i bought it. I ran the last 2 weeks at the Dutchmen for 1.5 hours in the slop....no fan running????? His bike may be jetted too lean and causing it to run hotter, or not using the right fuel???? Both times my fan turned on was before it was jetted properly, after i beat the snot outta it and let it sit runnin.

I still have the stock battery. It was dead over the winter everytime i try'd to start it(0-10degrees out) after it charged a while it would fire and i rode no problem. Since we do dead engine starts I do a long slow charge for a few hours before every race. Last week a guy at the race had a big battery with no lights on, charged the day before right from the box.. after 2 laps at the Dman it fried the battery real bad, the bike wont even try to turn over???? Ive talked to EXkid, the dealer he works for sold 9 and had to replace relays under warranty on 6 of them.

Another thing to keep in mind. Do u know why the new Honda 450R has a hotstart button?????? Well then a battery thats already borderline too weak to start the bike, might have a problem turning over a high po engine that just got stalled while u were dumping fuel into the top end!!!!!After a few minute it may turn over again????

batterys
    relays
    hard hot starts(after u stall it while while beating the pulp outta it)
    I do not think there is one problem, I think there may be a few problems people are having.
    www.wesbolt.com
    www.atvriders.com
    RAGE ATV
    lonestarquadracing.com

Originally posted by jlhughes750

Another thing to keep in mind. Do u know why the new Honda 450R has a hotstart button?????? Well then a battery thats already borderline too weak to start the bike, might have a problem turning over a high po engine that just got stalled while u were dumping fuel into the top end!!!!!After a few minute it may turn over again????

batterys
    relays
    hard hot starts(after u stall it while while beating the pulp outta it)
    I do not think there is one problem, I think there may be a few problems people are having.
    exactly right. there hasnt been a clear fix because there isnt just one problem. my fan will come on but not constantly.

if it was just a relay it would be an easy fix. typical electrical BS all a PITA

What kind of teather kills switches are you guys using?
    My budy and I have had our 450's since mid July and have no issues with battery or hard starting.
    My battery has never been on a charger. Even when it was cold.
    When we go to the sand I install 2 HID lights with stock stator flywheel and stuff, and ride most of the night will all lights on and still have never had a problem.
    He and I are both using Pingel N/C teather kill switches.
    we ran the switch in series with the kill switch on the handle bar.
    Both of us being from the Electrical back ground where no way going to ground the elecrical system of this machine like a 2 stroke is done.
    Just something to think about.
    Good luck
    04/YFZ450, 02/YZ250F, 01/250EX
    C&D racing
    MHSC #226
    http://www.warpedracing.tk/

It does run hotter than any other YFZ I've ridden with. If anyone has any tips on how to get it to run cooler I'd like to hear it. It is jetted richer than stock all around, but maybe not enough.
    GNCC/Mideast #146
    450R
    400EX

Originally posted by 5valves
    [B
    He and I are both using Pingel N/C teather kill switches.
    we ran the switch in series with the kill switch on the handle bar.
    Both of us being from the Electrical back ground where no way going to ground the elecrical system of this machine like a 2 stroke is done.
    Just something to think about.
    Good luck [/B]

can u explain more about what u meant by not grounding them like a 2 stroke???????
    www.wesbolt.com
    www.atvriders.com
    RAGE ATV
    lonestarquadracing.com

I have 2 yfz's with 400ex batteries installed in them both and I had not had a problem until this weekend when my battery died on the last lap. On one of my bikes i installed 250r louvers and it seems to run a little cooler. i run 50/50 klotz and 94 pump gas. I need to know what to do to help this problem. Should i run engine ice or get a heavier duty ingintion setup from ricky stator if they have one. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    -----------------------
    GNCC # 79
    Thanks to my 04 Sponsors:
    werkzracing.com wilson racing klotz
    scott goggles
    K&K
    Cycra
    Big Gun Exhausts
    Miller's Yamaha
    Oneal

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast