Thread: fuel screw ???????

fuel screw ???????

How many turns out of the fuel screw is the factory adjustment on a 400ex?I think im running rich since my plugs black.Any suggestions?
    Thanks

Fuel screw spec is 2 1/4 turns out.
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Re: fuel screw ???????

Originally posted by quad
    How many turns out of the fuel screw is the factory adjustment on a 400ex?I think im running rich since my plugs black.Any suggestions?
    Thanks

just remember you could be rich with the idle circuit, needle, or mainjet. is your plug black after trying to start it, when idleing, when around 1/2 throttle, or at full throttle???
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

Oh chit! I have no idea when the plugs turning black.I just got my 400.What i know about it is,just what i learned here.I do know it can be a real pain in the arse to cold start.But since I read a post that says to turn the idle up til its warm,its became a lil easier.The quad is all stock,i did purchase it used.I just was thinking of trying to set the fuel screw at factory position,incase the previous owner adjusted it wrong.Maybe i should let it alone,because I am planning on adding a pipe.I'll have to re adjust everything then anyways right?
    Thanks

Any power improvement mod will more than likely require jetting changes. I would suggest a 42 pilot jet. This will probably allow for easier starting. What weight of oil are you running? Jetting is the key to having the quad run good.
    Preston
    **FOR SALE** - '02 Yellow 400ex:WB Pro Meg, +2 Burgard a-arms, Works Triple Rates w/ rezzies, Pro Armor nerfs, Renthal bars, WB PB block off, RTC perch

As of now,im running 10w40.Next im gonna run 20w50,when it gets warmer.