Thread: Valve Adjustment

Valve Adjustment

I have a 2001 400ex and was just wondering how often everyone usually adjusts their valves. I have about 50 hours on it and have done it once after about 30 hrs. And they seemed to have a lot of slack in them when I did it then.

Is it about time again?

I check mine every time I change the oil.. (I usually have the plastic off anyway to give it a good cleaning..)

It only takes about 10-15 minutes once you have the plastic off..

For what it's worth, the first time I adjusted mine they were out, but they haven't changed since..

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

im new at this and was wondering how to check the valves ? with what as far as tools goes ? and where in the **** is the valves ?

in the EX Tech section you will find a well written article on 400EX valve adjustment. I you have a 250EX it will be a little different, but very very similar. Step one though, is have a Honda factory service manual. This should be the first thing you get for your bike, even before gas!

Enjoy!

Leo....you check your valves that often???? Well at least you dont neglect your ride. No your making me have to check mine again
    nothing

when I change the oil I usually take the plastic off to get all the crud out of everything.. (we ride in a lot of clay and it packs in everywhere you can think of..)

once you have the plastic it only takes just a few minutes to check the vavles.. mine has always had a slight tick to it, and I'm just paranoid I guess

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

What's that?!?! Did you hear something????????
    04 Camo Suzuki Vinson