Thread: Sputtering/Backfiring Trouble

Unhappy Sputtering/Backfiring Trouble

Over the last three weeks my YFZ has started having trouble. It started as just a little sputter, but lately it has gotten to the point where it won't move under its own power. For about the first 15 minutes of a race it will run great then it will start to have a little hesitation and after a few more minutes it will start to backfire and after about thirty minutes it won't even rev above idle. If I stop for about 5-10 minutes it will run fine for a short while and then it goes back to hardly running. I've checked all the basic stuff I can think of, but if anyone has any suggestions please post them.
    GNCC/Mideast #146
    450R
    400EX

It sounds like a heat issue with your CDI or coil?

I am sure you have changed the fuel, and or checked for water or dirt in the carb.

I',m not much help I know, but If your fuel is fresh and CLEAN, I would try to get your electronic components checked out.

That's what I was thinking, but I can't take it anywhere until Tuesday. I have dumped out the old gas and put some fresh in and taken the carb apart and cleaned it, but the problem has continued to get worse.
    GNCC/Mideast #146
    450R
    400EX

Yup...

sounds like a bad component in the CDI. Fine when it's cold, but under operation as it heats up integrity breaks down and it basically shorts out. Good luck...

Maxx
    08 kfx 450r
    Phoenix Performance Pipe
    Fuel customs Intake
    Dyna tek FI controller