Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: air box lid or no lid question

air box lid or no lid question

i have jetted my yfz for no lid which is a bad idea for gncc racing. but with the lid on, it doesn't have the same power. i am trying to locate a outerwears box cover for the stock box, but i'm having a hard time locating one. does anyone else have any ideas on how i could cover the box without losing the power.
    thanks
    06 yfz450
    07 250ex
    05 kasea 90

Just leave the lid off with nothing over it!!!!!!!

That is what I have done for three years and had no problems

I just cut some holes in the box and put an outerwear on the filter and have had no problems with power or mud getting into the box. The holes I cut are 2 triangles on the right and left side of the box oppisite from eachother. If you want a pic I can post one. If you decide to get an outerwear cover don't trust the velcro, I would take the stock top and cut the entire inside out and use it over the outerwear so it is secure.
    YFZ450-mine
    440ex -girlfriends
    ltz-400-dad's
    all modded and dune/xc/track ready

2002 400EX - Will be missed
    2004 YZF450 - Dr. D pipe
    2003 400EX - Full LRD pipe
    K@N w/lid removed

Thumbs up

thanks for the link
    06 yfz450
    07 250ex
    05 kasea 90

for years bill ballance put a piece of fairly open celled foam over his airbox with no lid. he cuts the foam quite a bit bigger than the top of the airbox and lets the seat pan just kinda sandwich it down. that was on his R's and i heard he is using the same practice on his yfz. on my 400ex's i always cut the back half of the lid off so it was basically half a lid. I never had water or mud problems whilke racing XC. I havent decided how i will run my yfz yet. Matt
    Gas is for lawnmowers.........trucks burn DIESEL!!!!!!!!

ha

Originally posted by powerstroke
    for years bill ballance put a piece of fairly open celled foam over his airbox with no lid. he cuts the foam quite a bit bigger than the top of the airbox and lets the seat pan just kinda sandwich it down. that was on his R's and i heard he is using the same practice on his yfz. on my 400ex's i always cut the back half of the lid off so it was basically half a lid. I never had water or mud problems whilke racing XC. I havent decided how i will run my yfz yet. Matt
    i bet u was not in fl at the gncc race yesterday
    eddysiegers2007 b+25 champ, 2005 mideast vet champ,gncc #770 for 07

I was there . what is your point

if u werenot runing a lid

Originally posted by GNCCer
    I was there . what is your point
    u had to be sucking down water
    eddysiegers2007 b+25 champ, 2005 mideast vet champ,gncc #770 for 07

I actually got hit by sombody flipped my bike over in the water completely covering the bike. when I tried to start it back up I had a dead battery. but up to that point NO problems. I know several people on Pro row that did not run lids at all. I think it would have been a good idea to run a lid! My feeling is "if it is nasty enough you need to run a lid? It is nasty enough your not going to miss the hp the lid looses you."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast