Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get off the line.

Best way to get off the line.

Well racing season is around the turn and there is still something that is haunting me from last year. It’s the holeshot. I can battle my way back to the lead after a lap or 2 but sometimes I get there jerks who can't race but can block like a mofo. So I want to know how u guys hole shot. Like what you do to prep the starting, how you let out the clutch ect... The way I am use to doing it is let my clutch out slowly with my revs high and then drop it when the gate drops but there always seems to be a some bikes who aren’t faster than me but can beat me at the jump. What you guys think is wrong with my style? I haven't had time to ask my pro racing friends yet so I don't want to sound like an idiot talking to them about it...

Thanks for any help you give.
    Ben#16
    If you never push yourself and your machine...... How are you going to keep up those those who are?
    Ride hard, break sh*t and get the podium chicks!

In memory of my hero and my friend Matt Bartosek #88

i take off in 2nd gear. also practice your starts alot. it helps to practice on different terrain to get used to anything.

Some peple start in 2nd, but if your clutch is stock don't. Don't shift into gear untill 5 secs. before the gate drops, if you shift early your clutch will heat up. If you have traction sit far up on the seat, if you don't sit farthere back. When I shift I hold the front brakes and let out the clutch so the backend starts to wind up (it helps to get a better launch). Then when the gate drops let go of the brake and ease out the clutch so not to stall, but not too slow.

my400ex: THANKS A TON! I didn't know about that clutch heating up, it makes perfect sence to me now. I bet that was my biggest problum i was sitting at the line for like 40 sec reving with my clucth pulled in alot. I have to get my bike back together and try that when it warms up.

Thanks again,
    Ben#16
    If you never push yourself and your machine...... How are you going to keep up those those who are?
    Ride hard, break sh*t and get the podium chicks!

In memory of my hero and my friend Matt Bartosek #88

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    what i do... is i go up the the gate i wait till the 15 sec board comes up and i put it into gear then i don't watch the gate... i watch right by the dog house u will see a little bar move b4 the gate falls when u see that bar move u dump the clutch... also what i do is i let the clutch out just till it starts to move... the i hold it there with the brakes... as soon as i see that bar move i dump the clutch, pin the gas, let go of the brakes all in one motion and it works every time... also i start in 1st gear it works better for me...
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

and never get right up on the gate. you shold be 12-14 in. before the gate. or you might get stuck on it and look really stupid.

I like to take off in 1st and then hit 2nd as soon as I take off. I slip the clutch a little bit right before the gate drops and just shift throuh the gears like crazy. And oh yeah when your shifting up don't use the clutch. Takes to much time and will help with arm fatigue too. I only use the clutch for down shifting when Im in a race. It won't hurt anything if you don't use the clutch for shifting up either so don't worry.
    2007 Honda 450ER W/ White plastic- Houser Slicast Longtravel +2 A-arms, Axis Triple rate shocks w/ rezzy's, Houser +1 steering stem, Stremline steel braded brack lines front & rear, Nac's case saver, PEP steering dampner, Tag T2 chrome handlebars, Works connetion pro perch clutch lever, IMS/Roll powermadd handgaurds, Houser Graphics Kit, Houser #plate backgrounds, Douglas ultimate front w/ groved radials, Douglas ultimate beadlocks rear with Maxxis MX tires, Lonestar +2+2 Axle & anti fade lock nut, AC racing black line front bumber, AC racing black line nerfs w/ relocated pegs, AC racing rear grab bar powdercoated black, Pro design kill switch, Pro design pro flow kit w/ K&N filter & outerwears wrap, Honda CRF cam, Sparks full exhast, Quadtech hood scoop.

2007 Sponsors- Houser Racing, Nac's, K&K Racing, IMS-ROLL, Tag-Metals, Quadtech, Lonestar Racing, Outterwears.

I always start in 2nd. I let the clutch out till right before its starts to move and pin it wide open and dump it when its time to go!! I get the holeshot on everybody I race. Banshees, Raptors, R's and everything.... But I mostly drag race in dirt or sand!! That gets the wheels spinning good and launches me out in front every time!!
    Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike, better make that 5% count!

2000 TC 505EX Complete TC Motor and everything else you can imagine and more!!

Watch the gate and you'll be late, but watch the pin and you'll win!
    2007 Honda 450ER W/ White plastic- Houser Slicast Longtravel +2 A-arms, Axis Triple rate shocks w/ rezzy's, Houser +1 steering stem, Stremline steel braded brack lines front & rear, Nac's case saver, PEP steering dampner, Tag T2 chrome handlebars, Works connetion pro perch clutch lever, IMS/Roll powermadd handgaurds, Houser Graphics Kit, Houser #plate backgrounds, Douglas ultimate front w/ groved radials, Douglas ultimate beadlocks rear with Maxxis MX tires, Lonestar +2+2 Axle & anti fade lock nut, AC racing black line front bumber, AC racing black line nerfs w/ relocated pegs, AC racing rear grab bar powdercoated black, Pro design kill switch, Pro design pro flow kit w/ K&N filter & outerwears wrap, Honda CRF cam, Sparks full exhast, Quadtech hood scoop.

2007 Sponsors- Houser Racing, Nac's, K&K Racing, IMS-ROLL, Tag-Metals, Quadtech, Lonestar Racing, Outterwears.

400MXer is offline They call me"Tater Salad"
    I've got the best method of all...............once the gate drops...vear to one side or the other and wreck everyone!!! it works.

no....jk....what i do is....shift into second a lil' before the gate drops....then i give it between quarter and half throttle. i too watch the pin and not the gate.......(also a little training info, i play with bouncy balls a lot to help with hand eye cordination, lets me get a jump on the competition) then when it drops,,,,i just dump the clutch and hammer on the gas. some places i race at have really soft dirt and not much traction, so i practially sit on my tires so i can get a good launch. then places with clay or just really hard surfaces, i slide close to the gas tank so my tires will spin a lil' and not make me wheelie out of control.

or, you can just throw a nitrous bottle on your bike, no one will ever know!!he he:devil
    Retired --- For Now

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast