Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: need help with Z

need help with Z

My cousin has a Z400 and ever time we go riding it will start to act up. It will run bad and constantly stall. He thinks there is water getting in the fuel somehow but were still puzzled. Anyone have any ideas ????

Has he ever done any mods to it? If not drain the gas tank and put in new gas, if he thinks it got water in it. Try some High octane gas. Check the air filter. Make sure nothings been disconneted (i.e. hoses or wires).

If hes done any mods like a new pipe or silencer he may have not rejetted it. The different amounts of air and gas from the new pipe will make it want to stall.

Also make sure that the vaccum line to the fuel valve is on and not pinched. The fuel valves on the Z's work off of vaccum to make the fuel flow and if it does not have vaccum it can not keep up with the motors demand for fuel.
    Might also try running it on res. for a bit to see if that stops the problem, as the reserve is a gravity feed. Just do not forget to go back to the on position so you do not run out of fuel
    Me- retired from riding, racing and miss it every day; oldest sons- 2005 450R, race ready and a lot of extras; Youngest son- sold his, he is in the US Army Infantry.

Make sure the choke isnt on
    06' Lt450r
    86' 250r
    04'crf 70

check to make sure the vent hose from the gas cap isn't plugged. Mine got plugged where it sticks into the panel with the key and lights (what-ever it's called)
    03 Z400
    HMF, 450R shocks, Razr 2's

ok his quad is completely stock. He has drained the gas and used 93. But i will have him try and run it on reserve for a while. Today he got it home by running it on half choke but it kept dying on him. Air filter is clean also.

Originally posted by dannyboy20
    . . Today he got it home by running it on half choke but it kept dying on him. Air filter is clean also.
    IF U RUN IT WITH THE CHOKE ON IT MAKES IT STALL
    2007 trx450er rossier full exhaust, k&n filter, HRC kit.

he had to run it with the chocke to get it home. It was stalling more without the choke.

Than your not getting enough fuel to the engine and when its on choke your adding more fuel. Maybe you got some dirt in the carb or you got dirt in the fuel valve on gas tank.
    Shawn Hohneke #77
    06 450R
    06450ER

06 Sponsors:
    GT Thunder/Moose Racing /Alpinestars
    Powermadd/Smith Optics/So,St,Paul Hitchingpost

Qoute:

"You can't Cut corners if you want to be great.
    Natural skills are fine,but WORK makes you a champion."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast