Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: If you know the 400 motor stop here!

If you know the 400 motor stop here!

All right all I see on here is everything about the xr cam. I really don't know why. I live 5 minutes away from Mark Baldwin and his shop so I stop there often to hang out with him, Matt and Jason. Anyway Matt and Jason were both busy so I decided to chill with Mark for a little bit. I was talking to him about building up my engine. He wants to put a 426 in it, but I still want to run pump gas (have to remember I’m still 15) So I was talking to him about making it a 416. I was telling him about you guys and how you’re obsessed with the xr cam and the 416 kits. So I asked him what would I need to make my 400 beat my friends 440's? He said I was right about the lighter piston revving faster but it doesn't matter how light your piston is if your running a mild cam. So I asked him if Web Cam would help me on the track to hammer it outa a turn and he said that would work great. He wants to do the whole engine like the valves but I don't the money for that. So I figure if I just get a slip on (suppertrapp) an 11:1 JE piston, Web Cam, valve springs and a higher mm carb would work until this summer and I can get some money. What do you guys think? I know all about the suspension and handling crap but I don't care about that until I can my motor done. I need to know people's experiences with the web cam (not opinions) I know in a few years Matt can make me a 4 Stroke B-A rider so I need a good learning bike. If I have to get my valves done I guess I can pay my dad back but I want this project to be as cheep as possible. So who has had experience with a similar set up?

Thanks,
    Ben#16
    If you never push yourself and your machine...... How are you going to keep up those those who are?
    Ride hard, break sh*t and get the podium chicks!

In memory of my hero and my friend Matt Bartosek #88

The only reason why I am running the XR400 cam is because I wanted a decent DROP IN cam, I didn't want to do any head modifications. So terry told me my best bet was the xr400 cam and the je piston kit. I'm not looking to beat 440's, I was just looking to get some more snot out of my motor for a small fee. BTW if your 15 years old how do you have a racing number? You have to be 16 to race a 400ex legally in the ama.
    2000 Roll/Laeger's/Houser/Axis 416ex

2001 Arens/Laeger's/PEP 250r

Thanks to my sponsors for 2003 : 00-Buck ATV Racing, Team Pompton, Nebulae Race Team, Milton Inn Packaged Goods, Napa Auto Parts of Oak Ridge, Sick Style Racing, WD-40, Hinson Racing, IMS, Sport Center Racing, and Nac's racing

I'd also like to give a special thanks to Baldwin Motorsports for all there help and support they gave me.

We are now accepting resumes, this is a New Jersey based team. westsyder50@hotmail.com
    http://www.geocities.com/sickstyleatv/index.html

Team Rcokford Fosgate 401+ northeast champ 147.7db

That Setup sounds good to me. I would just make sure you do what you want the First time. It will save you Money. Have you seen Farr`s CRF450R?
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

400exRacerX: You gave me ABSOLUTLY no help to my question. I don't understand why put your 2 cents in when I only asked for people who knew about the Web Cam. Also I didn't say "400exRacerX why did you put the xr cam in your bike. Were you looking to beat 440's?" And the #16 is just what I have on my bike its not my legal AMA#. Besides I only plan on local races this year because of my age.

WarriorMan: I am trying to make sure its what I want. Asking all of my friends to see what they think. About Farr’s bike I have been there when he was organizing the parts to put it together. Usually don't pay much attention to his projects because they all look the same. The real awesome projects are going on at Fisher Cycle in Ashtabula Ohio. Bud (Fisher) has like 2 450 motors and also him and my friend Joey Dreslinski are taking a 2002 cr250 and are putting it in a Leagure frame. Should be quick! You guys should look for Joe this year in the 250A he's going to win it for sure.

I forgot in my original post to ask if anyone has suggestions about a diff cam that works better than web's and also is cheaper.
    So..........anyone have a cam to mention?
    If you never push yourself and your machine...... How are you going to keep up those those who are?

Are you in the NorthEast Trail Riders Group? Do you have Yellow 400EX? There was a Kid when we went to Pine Lake that Broke his Chain on the Big Up Hill. I remember he said he goes to Baldwin`s all the Time. Is that You?

Sorry, back to the Topic. I like TC Racing myself. He has a MX Cam that would work for you that is a Drop-In. Gt Thunder, and Sparks also have Drop-In Cams that don`t require any Mods to be done to the Valve Springs or Rockers. You can check out those.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

THAT WAS ME!! The kid who can snap a D.I.D x-ring masterlink in one ride.lol I grew alot more balls after that ride. I now will try like any jump and don't have a care in the world. Maybe we can go ridding again. What bike were you on at that ride?

We were the Big Group from Columbia City Indiana. I remember talking to you about PEP Shocks. I had my White/Blue Warrior. The Kids I was riding with had a Blaster, and the other one had an old Warrior. I now have a 2002 400EX. The kid that had a Blaster has a New Banshee now, and the kid on the Warrior is getting a Banshee. We raced that 4 Man relay. That was an awesome ride. Are you going on the Badlands ride in April? Jerry is coming down a day early. I can`t wait.

I'm not sure if I can make it to the badlands, I have to do some convincing to my dad. That ride was awesome, but I liked that day after where it was like a clean up ride. The kid with the blaster made the thing fly, I hope when I get my motor done we can race now that he has that banshee. The real cool thing about that ride was that was the very first time I have every done a competitive event in the woods. I really had no clue what to do but to give it gas and hope the trees wouldn't pop out at me. But that ride at Pine Lake really changed how I ride, after that I got in great racing shape. I dropped my weight down to 130-131 and got an in-home gym for x-mas (a full one) so I am ready to try and keep up with my pro mx friends.

Back to the post outa of those 3 drop in cams witch one have you heard would be best? I want one that will make my 416 rev extremely quick but still leave me with low end. This will be my only year with a 416 next year I will get a 440(I can afford VP then) so the "best" to me would probably be the in between performance cam. Sorta like is there were #'s on these cams I would want the 2. That way I have a fast bike and still can keep the cam when I get my 416 punched out. So what you guys think?
    I am really thinking about the TC but I know Baldwin has like everything sparks in stock so I think price will be the decider in this. It would help me a ton if someone could tell me where to get the prices for CT and GT Thunder.

Thanks,
    Ben#16

Ok now someone correct me if i am wrong but it doesn't matter how big your cylinder is or anything with what octane fuel u have to use, octane rating depends on your bikes compression ratio anything below 11 to 1 u don't have to use race gas, unless all 440's are above 11 ta 1???
    1998 Yamhaha R1

There are lots of variables that dictate what octane fuel you must run. A larger cylinder by nature needs higher octane because the flame has farther to travel. Is it significant on a 86 to 89mm bore? Not likely. It may be a wash, as the valves will be less shrouded by the cylinder walls and might have better swirl. I'm guessing that only Honda would know that for sure.

GT Thunder, Web 450/451, and White Bros Track cam are all the same cam. About $160. That's what I'd go with given your scenario.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast