Thread: Removing a link.

Removing a link.

Can some one tell me how to take a link out of my chain or if it's even possible. If it's not then what kind of chain should i buy?

My factory chain did not have a masterlink (2000 300EX). You can buy a master link and a chain break and you'd be able to shorten it up to what you need.

If it's not the factory chain, it WILL have a masterlink, but you'll still want a good chain break to make life easier for removing the link you need out.

If your chain is stock, odds are the sprockets doen't have much life left if the chain is stretched that far. If that's the case, replace the sprockets and chain all at the same time. You can get them as a package deal. I got mine 2 weeks ago from Magic Racing, $83 at my door the next day. Even cheaper if you don't want an O-ring chain.
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.

The United States of America. We build better bombs. (Free delivery available upon request)

Go to rockymountainatv.com and order a chain braker,,you'll take a chance of loosin a finger if ya try ta man handle the chain apart..

yeah no kiding man

...back in the days of bmx...i was tryin to get a chain appart.started talkin in french.my dad calmly walk up grabs the chain puts on the breaker a few turns and pop.....it's done...i feel like an idiot cause i got everything fom vicegrips and c claps to rubberbands and tooth picks out there tryin' to get it appart......
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......

Lock cutters work really good.

only if you're throwing the chain in the trash.

To take a link out, use a chain break. So far almost everyone has said the same thing. I don't think we'd ALL be lieing to you.
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.

The United States of America. We build better bombs. (Free delivery available upon request)

use a grinder and take out one of the post and pop it out. bam no more link their.
    http://ezb.flamingtext.com/ezb/2002/...1279_20848.gif
    hmm this is gonna be hard but ok.
    Shinny black maier front and back fenders with graphs kit and seat cover..
    pro fab 330kit
    tit. retainers
    harder springs.
    clutch springs.
    web cam
    hardened rockers
    oversized valves
    ported and polished
    high compressin piston
    full e series
    uni
    no airbox lid
    holeshots
    renthals
    scotts grips
    everything polished, moto, footpegs, gas cap, barclamps steering stem, throtle and so many others.
    mighty 85 atc70 best atv evermade. better than the 250r
    soon to come elka shocks lsr axle 400 a arms and rapor rear shock with a mac daddy pimp rebuild.

Thanks for all of the reply's guys but since I'd have to order a chain breaker i think i'll just order a new chain And maybe a new front sprocket.

If you're going to stay in this sport and work on it yourself, go ahead and order a chain breaker at the same time. You'll need it one day.
    Honda, Best On Earth
    2000 400EX, 1996 300EX and a 1997 LT80 - each with a bunch of custom schtuff on'em!
    2001 CR250
    2002 KDX220

man......

....you could prolly get you a chain break at wal-mart......
    it'll most likely be cheeper there too.....i mean it doesn't have to be the "RENTHAL" chain break....oh dudley doo wop brand will work just as good...thats what mine is
    W1DE5PREADPANIC@AOL.COM

TAKE IT FROM A PRO
    ......JUST SAY NO......