Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reliability Concerns

Question Reliability Concerns

The YFZ is growing on me more and more everyday. I'm a die hard Honda guy and i think it would be fair to say that yamaha might have a slight edge over the new TRX in the MX department. I realize that every first year machine is going to have problems...I know that some of the YFZ's have had issues w/ the water seals going out, and there have been a few cases of bent front a-arms, and short lived batteries. This seems to be about the only thing holding me back from wanting the new Yamaha. I don't want to sound biased or anything but i think alot of you could agree w/ me in saying that it's hard to beat a Honda when it comes to reliability. If I lay $6,000 + on a new quad I want it to be able to hold up to some serious abuse in relatively stock form. I just like the way the Yamaha's geometry is set up so much more than the Honda, a much lower and wider stance, and a super beefy swingarm. Just a few thoughts.

HSR...

I have been talking to YFZ guys ever since I got mine last September. The battery issue seems to only be present in very few instances, and only when people ride A LOT and never run the lights. I run my lights always when I ride, and have never had ANY issues with battery whatsoever. The only issues I have heard with bent or brokwn frame parts are when A. People are doing super cross style 120 ft triples at 60 mph, or B. When people case the hell outta jumps. I think the same thing could be said of any quad in history on factory components. I love my YFZ. It has been very dependable, and runs like no 4 stroke I have ever seen. I think Yamaha has caught Honda (easy Honda guys) in the quality department, if there ever really was that much of a desparity. I would not shy away for the reasons you mentioned, I don't think they will be an issue. just my .02...

Maxx
    08 kfx 450r
    Phoenix Performance Pipe
    Fuel customs Intake
    Dyna tek FI controller

Sounds cool , thanks for the input

my only problem so far is the chain roller...... you gotta buy a relocater.. i never run with my lights on and have never had a battery problem. Some people blow things ut of proportion.
    - #48 2004 BLUE YFZ 450 -
    One Industries - AC nerfs - Ac Full Skid - AC Bumper - Pro Design Kill Switch - Shockpro shockcovers - PEP Chain relocator - Bullet Parking block off - Motion Pro Twist Throtle - Cam Mod -

Jetting 170 main - 48 pilot - stock needle 5th clip - fuel screw 2 and 3/4 turns - runs awesome

I have had no one problem with my yfz for the start. Great arse quad. Im going to make dad buy one for himself.
    2004 yfz450

Winter rebuild stage, becoming a full mx racer

Formely Krazykid300ex

Have any of you guys experienced problems with the water pump seals going out? I have heard of this happening to a few other people before.

Nope. Those very only on a few. They are a very well made quad IMO.
    2004 yfz450

Winter rebuild stage, becoming a full mx racer

Formely Krazykid300ex

i havent ran into any problems with my yfz yet. even sitting in the ice cold garage it always fires right up for me, and its never leaked any fluid. its been a great quad so far and i feel it will continue to do so.

I've had a clutch lever fray, the battery died (always ran headlights), paint comes off very easy, bent the stock axle, and some bolts weren't tightened very well from the factory. Nothing major.
    GNCC/Mideast #146
    450R
    400EX

I have 2 YFZs. One of them is like the community bike, everyone that comes to my shop rides it. We have a test track right at the shop with jumps, and whoops, and it gets pounded hard( you know how people treat things that they didn't pay for and I have not had 1 problem with either of them, aside from POOR jetting from the factory, but every one changes that anyway. It's too early to say which is better, but you WONT go wrong with the YFZ, that i can say.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast