Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: all CHOKED up

done

Notice the nice open airway. Put a 42 pilot in your 400 before or when you remove the choke. With the 42 pilot you will not need the choke. Just pump the throttle a few times before you hit the start button, and kinda feather the throttle at first. If you hear any poppin' and crackin' or snappin sounds, it means you aren't jetted correctly.

I really did notice a power and throttle response increase during the test ride.

Good luck,

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Question

Originally posted by MIKE400EX
    just put a rubber vacuum cap over the boss on the side of the carb
    What exactly is a rubber vaccum cap and where would I get one? What part of the hardware store sells them?
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Thumbs up Hey yo

Nice little.,,,,,How to remove the choke,,,,,diagram. Guess I might do mine this weekend since I have no other plans. What's the time frame on this project Mike???

And do you have to remove the carb from the bike to do this??

Re: Hey yo

Originally posted by Rico
    Nice little.,,,,,How to remove the choke,,,,,diagram. Guess I might do mine this weekend since I have no other plans. What's the time frame on this project Mike???

And do you have to remove the carb from the bike to do this??
    Give yourself a couple hours. Don't be like me and do it when you are tired and in a hurry. Get good and loose.

Take off both the side panels, remove the gas tank straps, and loosen both boots on the carb. Pull the boot attached to the airbox out and around. Refer to one off the first pics posted. Now the carb will kinda "float around". If you can get the soft phillips head screw attaching the yellow lever removed, u r good to go. Just remember about the shavings that will fall out when you take off the choke plate.

Also the hole that must be plugged has a 3/8" outside diameter.

mike.......nice diagram...i will try this out this weekend....i use a 45 pilot jet right now with the motor stock....and a slip-on pipe.....i will post my results....PS the 45 is NOT to rich....my plug always looks perfect.

thanks again for the details. !
    nothing

You can purchase a rubber vacuum cap from any auto parts store, even Home Depot sells them in those (lame) "specialty" hardware drawers. Get a 5/16" ID cap so it will fit snug.

Rico, you definetly should take the carb off to keep those metal chips out of the engine. You'll be hard pressed to drink A beer by the time you get the job done!
    Mods: Big Gun FS w/MM quiet core, no lid , K&N, FCR41, 11.3:1 440 and Web 479 cam, porting, no choke. Works TRS fronts & Ultracross rear shock, a few other goodies
    450R,250EX, Blaster, Banshee

YYou'll be hard pressed to drink A beer by the time you get the job done!
    Either this is a really quick job... or some of us drink a little faster.

NewRider

Rico, you definetly should take the carb off to keep those metal chips out of the engine. You'll be hard pressed to drink A beer by the time you get the job done!
    Well to be extra careful take it out, but I recommend leaving it in. It's much easier that way. And those 2 shavings will fall straight down. Since the throttle is closed, the entrance to the engine will be almost totally blocked. Those shavings should never make it to the engine. When the choke plate is off, you will see the shavings on the bottom of the entrance of the carb. Just sweep them away.
    Last edited by knighttime; 02-28-2002 at 08:48 AM.

Dude, it takes longer than 1 beer to get the carb off the quad!
    Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue.

The United States of America. We build better bombs. (Free delivery available upon request)

Originally posted by knighttime

Just sweep them away.
    dang,,,removing the choke leaves enough room to get a broom in there to sweep away the,,swedging????

So beer before, during, or after the process???

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast