Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: all CHOKED up

Post all CHOKED up

Well around 9pm last night I decide to remove the choke. I had a feeling something wasn't right with doing this, but I proceded. After stripping the soft phillips head screw that holds on the yellow choke lever, I had this project f'd up in a hurry. I ended up havin' to take off the entire carburetor.

I got it just about fixed up now. I'll post some pics tomorrow at work, because I'm at home now waitin' for a furnace guy to get my freakin' furnace working. My house is now 50 degrees and falling fast.
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Build a small brush fire in the kitchen sink,,,I do it all the time,,,everything will be fine.

I'm interested in hearing if there's any power increase from this,,keep us posted.

Originally posted by Rico
    Build a small brush fire in the kitchen sink,,,I do it all the time,,,everything will be fine.
    Only in KY ...

NewRider

GOOD thing you had to take the carb off! The two screws holding the butterfly to the shaft are swedged. When you remove them lots of metal flakes and small pieces fall off. Now they won't go in your engine!
    Mods: Big Gun FS w/MM quiet core, no lid , K&N, FCR41, 11.3:1 440 and Web 479 cam, porting, no choke. Works TRS fronts & Ultracross rear shock, a few other goodies
    450R,250EX, Blaster, Banshee

When working on any philips screws on a 400EX an impact scredriver is your best friend
    Mitch
    00' TRX400EX
    Wiseco 11:1 piston, Webcam, "custom" dented FMF powercore, Elka tripple rate front shocks w/cans, Laeger +2 A-arms, Elka revalved stock rear shock, Houser +1.25 Swingarm, RAD bearing carrier, RPM dominator axle, Gussetted stock frame, E-brake removed w/LSR block off, MSR aluminum bars, Shaved fenders, AC propeg nerfs, K&N air filter, headlights and taillight removed

My website, check it out

im back

1. The soft phillips head screw stripped because of the awkward angle of the screwdriver. I should have loosened the carb on both boots so I could kinda move the carb around so I would have had a better angle of attack.

2. My furnace is fixed for now and I didn't have to start a brush fire in the kitchen sink. I do though need a new furnace and a/c unit in the spring.

3. I noticed a nice throttle responce increase now that the freakin' choke is gone. I just got back from the test ride and I was surprised. I didn't think I was gonna notice anything. There is more response and most likely a little added horsepower as well. I think if you have a 42 pilot, the choke is useless.

4. I'll post some pics tomorrow. The choke assembly inside the intake of the carb does take up a lot of space. More air can now pass more easily into the engine with it removed.
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Terry over at Marcum's suggested that when you remove the choke, you also take a Dremel & shave off the 2 'fins' that hide behind the choke. I haven't done this yet, has anyone tried it? I also notices better throttle response after I took off the choke, and I think it works best w/ a 40 or 42 pilot.
    03 Predator w/ TrailTech X-bars & clamp, WB slip-on, custom K&N intake, Edelbrock carb

06 Raptor, Houser +2 A-arms, LSR +4 axle, FMF PowerBomb Header w/ Two Bros slip on, ProDesign K&N intake kit, TrailTech X-bars, clamp & Vapor computer, PC III USB

yeah

I think shavin' those fins would be a good idea. It would give ya some more airflow. I thought about it for a second, but I just wanted the project to be over with. :blah

Yea, I did the same thing with my carb this weekend, and wow! It sure does make a difference. It probably added about 1-1.5 horses through the whole powerband, at least thats my prediction. It also increased throttle response a lot. I stripped each screw I took out though, so if I ever need to put it back together, I'm going to have to buy new screws. I saw the fins you're talking about, but I was afraid of getting all the shavings all over the carb if I used a dremel tool. If anyone does this, post something about it, because I'm not even going to bother if it doesn't make that much difference. Also, I was thinking about filling both holes where the choke rod went through the carb with something to smooth things out and prevent dirt from working it's way in. What do you guys think about this, and what do you suggest I use? Thanks for the help.
    - Kenny
    2000 4??EX- Does ANYONE really know?
    My 300EX Page

2004 Sponsor: Fox Valley Cycles

filling those holes sounds like a good idea, and you could use something like JB Weld (I think that's what is is called). The only problem is that if the stuff were to ever loosen, you might end up saying goodbye to your engine. I'm going to run the idea by some friends who know more about engine building & see what they say.
    03 Predator w/ TrailTech X-bars & clamp, WB slip-on, custom K&N intake, Edelbrock carb

06 Raptor, Houser +2 A-arms, LSR +4 axle, FMF PowerBomb Header w/ Two Bros slip on, ProDesign K&N intake kit, TrailTech X-bars, clamp & Vapor computer, PC III USB

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast