Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pantyhose over your airbox with no lid???

Question Pantyhose over your airbox with no lid???

Has anybody tried this? does it work well enough to keep the filter clean. I like the idea of a outerware lid, but I was just trying to save a few $$$$. Thanks for your replys, Judd

this is what I went with........it is wedding dress material.........very stiff almost equal to an outerwears airbox cover material. Notice how I siliconed it on the outside (this lets water & mud run off) then stretched a piece on the inside (only the lid holds it in place).

This keeps the filter WAY drier & cleaner than the 20.00 outerwears cover.

cost = 6.00
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

you could call that an Underware lid....lol
    '86 ESR 310pv
    '87 ESR 310pv
    '86 269r

LOL........yeah, you could call it that. I call it cheap & funcional.

on a serious note........I wanted more airflow so I removed my airbox lid. The problems were vast. Water & mud entered every time I ran through a mud puddle. I had to clean the filter every ride, and sometimes twice.

so I bought the outerwears lid for 15.00 + shipping. The lid was designed to be held on with velcro. The velcro was hard to get attached properly, time consuming & it didn't stay glued to the airbox.

so I cut the entire top out of my airbox & used the lid to hold the outerwears in place........this worked ok & looked great but the filter was still getting wet from splash water. I found that whatever entered the cavity between the lid & outerwear had NO place to go. It would eventually seep through the outerwear & onto the filter.

so I got a new lid & went to work on a new design. I noticed that the airbox lid was pitched toward the front of the bike which could act as its own "run off" device. If I could keep the splash water running off before it could run it, I would have it licked. I kept all of the drilled holes behind the filter location & it seems to be working great. Last time I pulled the lid (after some serious water crossings) there wasn't ONE drop of water in the airbox. I don't even think the second piece of fabric stretched on the inside is necessary. NOTE.....the scotchgard on the fabric is the key.
    we love you Chrissy

3Punksdad

Hey 3Punksdad, do you think it would work if you attached that wedding dress material (or the outerwear lid for that matter) to the outside of the lid that has one big hole in it? That way water would run off with the slant, and you would still get better air flow. whatcha think? Judd

Re: 3Punksdad

Originally posted by Judd
    Hey 3Punksdad, do you think it would work if you attached that wedding dress material (or the outerwear lid for that matter) to the outside of the lid that has one big hole in it? That way water would run off with the slant, and you would still get better air flow. whatcha think? Judd
    yes.........I do.........in fact, thats what I had set out to do...........however, the outerwears lid is too big to be velcro attached to the lid, yet too small to be wrapped over the lid & tucked inside on the edges. I tried the dress fabric over the lid but could not stretch it tight enough to be functional. If you find a way to do it, please share!

this is the best I could come up with. As you can see I am holding it up by my finger tips.........it is stretched fairly tight. Silicone holds the edges of this one too.........I will try it out soon.
    Last edited by 4punksdad; 08-20-2001 at 05:52 PM.
    we love you Chrissy

woops....forgot photo

Originally posted by 3punksdad

yes.........I do.........in fact, thats what I had set out to do...........however, the outerwears lid is too big to be velcro attached to the lid, yet too small to be wrapped over the lid & tucked inside on the edges. I tried the dress fabric over the lid but could not stretch it tight enough to be functional. If you find a way to do it, please share!

this is the best I could come up with. As you can see I am holding it up by my finger tips.........it is stretched fairly tight. Silicone holds the edges of this one too.........I will try it out soon.
    we love you Chrissy

Hey 3punksdad, Do you have a place to get used lids? I know thay are only like $7.50 new. Also how well does that wedding dress material breath? After using it do you suggest it or have any other ideas on what type of fabric might be better? did i read that you scotchguarded the fabric? didnt that clog up the pores in the fabric? I think I am going to the fabric store tommorrow, So I'll let you know what i come up with.
    ~ I guess I'll have to rejet with all the extra air flow(I just have a stock filter).
    ~what about the air tube that runs around the carb to the air box? That thing has got to be restrictive. Does anybody know of a safe modification to that tube? Maybe that would be a good place for those little "Lid Filters". Whatdaya think???

if you are going to run the modified lid i suggest removing the snorkel and replacing it with a cap....nac's racing sells them for likr 8 dollars and they are aluminum.

Originally posted by Judd
    Hey 3punksdad, Do you have a place to get used lids? I know thay are only like $7.50 new. Also how well does that wedding dress material breath? After using it do you suggest it or have any other ideas on what type of fabric might be better? did i read that you scotchguarded the fabric? didnt that clog up the pores in the fabric? I think I am going to the fabric store tommorrow, So I'll let you know what i come up with.
    ~ I guess I'll have to rejet with all the extra air flow(I just have a stock filter).
    ~what about the air tube that runs around the carb to the air box? That thing has got to be restrictive. Does anybody know of a safe modification to that tube? Maybe that would be a good place for those little "Lid Filters". Whatdaya think???
    I don't think there is any advantage to removing the snorkel or making modifications to it for that matter. Just leave it alone in case you want to run a stock lid some day.

The wedding dress material was the closest thing I could find to the outerwears fabric. The ladies in the store were not very helpful. If you find something better, post it on this thread.
    The scotchgard doesn't clog the material.......it kinda soaks into the fabric. Once it dries, you can't even tell it has been treated.
    we love you Chrissy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast