View Poll Results: Tapered or Double Row carrier?

Voters
83. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tapered

34 40.96%
  • Double row

49 59.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bearing carrier Tapered or double row?

That was an expensive carrier!

The only positive thing that I have heard was that they can handle the side load that better TT and flat track racing has. I'm not sure that is the right terminolgy but I think so.

There was a recent thread that brought up the point that automotive hubs have tapered bearings. Maybe it's a case of comparing apples to oranges?

Joe
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Tapered carriers

You are probably right about the side load on TT's, and a tapered bearing would handle that very well. You are also correct that all cars and trucks that I am familiar with have tapered bearings at the wheels also, but then again nobody jumps their Buick 70'. However, I can think of 1 big difference. In every other application that I can think of, there is a locking device to keep the preload constant on the tapered bearing. On your car or truck you tighten the bearing together, back it off just a slight amount so it spins freely but has no play, and then lock that position in place with a fine thread nut AND A cotter pin! I think the cotter pin prevents the thing from coming loose.
    JA

Re: Tapered carriers

Originally posted by Jnine
    You are probably right about the side load on TT's, and a tapered bearing would handle that very well. You are also correct that all cars and trucks that I am familiar with have tapered bearings at the wheels also, but then again nobody jumps their Buick 70'. However, I can think of 1 big difference. In every other application that I can think of, there is a locking device to keep the preload constant on the tapered bearing. On your car or truck you tighten the bearing together, back it off just a slight amount so it spins freely but has no play, and then lock that position in place with a fine thread nut AND A cotter pin! I think the cotter pin prevents the thing from coming loose.
    I understad what you're saying for the most part but when you say preload it throws me off. When I hear preload in reference to quads I think of shocks.

Can you explain in more laymans terms?

Joe

I think he means how much you tighten the carrier assembly on the bearings. It's not like a stock or double row where tightening it is just to keep everything from moving side to side. With a tapered setup, tightening the carrier actually puts direct pressure on the bearings and that's what hold them in place, which in turn holds the axle in place. You want it just tight enough so that there is no play in the axle but not so tight that there is drag on the bearings.
    04 450r: HRC kit, Sparks full system, Hipers all around, IMS pegs, Tag bars, Traitech riser clamp, Powermadd hand guards, Axe body skid, PRM swinger skid and grab bar.

*SOLD* - 425EX setup for the woods with all the goodies...

Preload

Hello again:

Maybe I'm not using the correct term by saying "preload" on the tapered bearing. It is exactly like the side load from a TT race that you are talking about however. With a tapered bearing you have one half that contains all the rollers, and the other half which is the race, and that is tapered to fit inside the rollers. That half forms the little banked track the rollers will run on. When you put the two together, somehow you have to make sure the little banked track doesn't back away from the rollers, or everything will be too loose. Usually there is some sort of threaded collar holding the two together. The trick is to adjust the two together so it is just tight enough to take out any free play. However, if you get them too tight they will actually be hard to turn. In fact, you can tighten them so much they won't turn at all. Anyway, that little bit of pressure that holds the two together I was calling preload.

Hope that explains it a little better. You know, some things are easier to describe in person....
    JA

Re: Tapered carriers

However, I can think of 1 big difference. In every other application that I can think of, there is a locking device to keep the preload constant on the tapered bearing. On your car or truck you tighten the bearing together, back it off just a slight amount so it spins freely but has no play, and then lock that position in place with a fine thread nut AND A cotter pin! I think the cotter pin prevents the thing from coming loose.

I'm using a RAD double pinch bolt locknut on mine that I put locktight on and cranked down really good and so far so good.
    04 450r: HRC kit, Sparks full system, Hipers all around, IMS pegs, Tag bars, Traitech riser clamp, Powermadd hand guards, Axe body skid, PRM swinger skid and grab bar.

*SOLD* - 425EX setup for the woods with all the goodies...

lol...way to lay it out for us john

and now someone please go jump thier dads buick

Very good information. Better yet, the double rows are usually quite a bit cheaper!
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

Re: Preload

Hello again:

Maybe I'm not using the correct term by saying "preload" on the tapered bearing. It is exactly like the side load from a TT race that you are talking about however. With a tapered bearing you have one half that contains all the rollers, and the other half which is the race, and that is tapered to fit inside the rollers. That half forms the little banked track the rollers will run on. When you put the two together, somehow you have to make sure the little banked track doesn't back away from the rollers, or everything will be too loose. Usually there is some sort of threaded collar holding the two together. The trick is to adjust the two together so it is just tight enough to take out any free play. However, if you get them too tight they will actually be hard to turn. In fact, you can tighten them so much they won't turn at all. Anyway, that little bit of pressure that holds the two together I was calling preload.

Hope that explains it a little better. You know, some things are easier to describe in person....
    Thanks John and remlapr.....

Thats kinda what I thought, just wanted to make sure for myself and the others that read this thread

I'll be sticking with my twin row even if I get into flat track racing

I know what you mean about explaining things in person

Joe

best twin row

So what is the twin row carrier of choice for MX?
    Total Performance llc,
    http://www.totalperformance-llc.com

89' 330r
    lrd adj. pipe
    TP Race porting
    39 PWK carb
    Houser LT
    Elka LT F+R
    holeshots

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast