Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adjusting front end?

Awesome post man thanx.....I think my quad may have a toe in/out problem because it doesnt want to drive straight when my handlebars are straight forwards.
    Black '05 Honda 450r
    HRC Cam, DRD Slip-on, Pro Flow filter kit w/ K&N Filter, 13 tooth front sprocket
    Yellow '02 Honda 400ex
    K&N Air Filter w/ Outerwears,HMF Slip-on Powdercoated Black, Pro Armor Bumper, Renthal 400ex Bend Bars w/ Progrip Grips

'91 Toyota Pickup Extra Cab 4x4 SR5 v6!

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature

Originally posted by LazeR
    Awesome post man thanx.....I think my quad may have a toe in/out problem because it doesnt want to drive straight when my handlebars are straight forwards.
    You might have a bent tie rod or possible bent stem

Joe
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

bent steering stem would make it not go straight when the handlebars are straight? i bent mine...and had it hydraulically pressed straight....looked pretty straight to me...but that is probably my problem! now i prolly gotta take the thing apart again! grrr
    Black '05 Honda 450r
    HRC Cam, DRD Slip-on, Pro Flow filter kit w/ K&N Filter, 13 tooth front sprocket
    Yellow '02 Honda 400ex
    K&N Air Filter w/ Outerwears,HMF Slip-on Powdercoated Black, Pro Armor Bumper, Renthal 400ex Bend Bars w/ Progrip Grips

'91 Toyota Pickup Extra Cab 4x4 SR5 v6!

98% of the teenage population will try, does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature

since my gibson a arms do not have balljoints (has kingpins and spherical bearings) should i do all the camber and caster adj. through the hemi joints?
    03 400EX-gibson lt front end axis shocks, lonestar axle, asv clutch and brake levers, tag handle bars

Good post knarly but one thing that I would point out is that when adjusting camber it is better to use a straight edge that is cut to about ten inches or whatever it takes to get it to rest on the lips of the rim. If you put the straight edge on the tire it will read more negative than it really is because of the bulge in the bottom of the tire from the weight of the quad. If you must use the tire then add enough air pressure to keep the tire from bulging at the bottom. Also all adjustments should be made with the rider on the quad ( or someone that weighs about the same).

as for a arms with spherical bearings for ball joints, yes you have to use the heims to adjust it. Some arms have a spherical on the bottom and a heim on the top (like Roll) and the top is used for camber adjusting. If there is a spherical on top and bottom then the heims at the frame mounts ( if it has them, like Burgard premiums) are used for both camber and caster adjustments. In this case the adjustment is a little harder because each time you adjust it changes both caster and camber at the same time. also adjustment is more limited.

I think the best setup is a spherical on the bottom for strength and range of motion with a heim for the top ball joint for camber adjustment and heims at the frame on the upper arm for caster adjustment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12