Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is yor opinion of 330ex machines being competitive with 400ex's.

Question What is yor opinion of 330ex machines being competitive with 400ex's.

What is yor opinion of 330ex machines being competitive with 400ex's and similar machines in XC Racing? Anyone got experience with this? Curious...
    Rider11x

2001 Honda 400ex XC Racer (SOLD)

2006 Yamaha Grizzly Realtree Camo

*Donegal Yamaha and Polaris*
    ****Tell them I sent ya!*****

In the tigth woods the quads might be close if best. But when it comes to the open areas the 400's will pull away because of the top ends. The supension is much better on the 400 even with stock shocks it will handle better. In MX the 300's are classed with the Blaster. the 330 kit will give it some more power, but the frame and trans are the big limits. I had a 250x that was built up and going to my 400 it was like night and day diff.

There is a guy that races a 3??ex in our series. He is in a different class than my son but he is very fast. I have no idea what he has done to it, and it may all be rider ability?

Depends at what level. I started on a 300ex with a stock motor (just bolt ons) and beat many 400's, raptors, etc. in the beginner and b/c classes. You can only go so fast in the trees - conditioning makes a bigger difference. I also think it makes you a better rider because you really have to ride the 300 hard to be competitive.

Competetive 330

To make a 300EX compete with a slightly modd'd 400 u need to spend a whole lot of money ( which anymore would be a waste).

Buy a 450 and get it overwith.

First off you need to upgrade your suspension. That means A-arms, shocks, steering stabilizer, lengthen the swingarm at least 2 inches.

You need good tires.

The frame must be strengthened to counter act the power of the 330. as well as the added abuse you will be able to put on it with the better suspension.

The engine will require alot of machining to take the 330, some minor headwork, (cam, valve springs, valve job). You will also want a bigger carb and heavier clutch springs, not to mention new clutch plates(stock honda's seem to work the best). The tranny will hold up fine.

All this will cost you 3000 to 4000 bucks. Plus the cost of the 300.

Don't forget about the nerfs, pipe, skid plates, gripper seat, hand gaurds, dual row carrier, bumper, grab bar, and all of the other little things that add up to big money.

I do like my 330 though. And it does compete with 400EX's
    2005 GNCC Sport Class #2
    2006 AWRCS Sport Class Champion

Cool Re: Competetive 330

Originally posted by countypark
    To make a 300EX compete with a slightly modd'd 400 u need to spend a whole lot of money ( which anymore would be a waste).

Buy a 450 and get it overwith.

First off you need to upgrade your suspension. That means A-arms, shocks, steering stabilizer, lengthen the swingarm at least 2 inches.

You need good tires.

The frame must be strengthened to counter act the power of the 330. as well as the added abuse you will be able to put on it with the better suspension.

The engine will require alot of machining to take the 330, some minor headwork, (cam, valve springs, valve job). You will also want a bigger carb and heavier clutch springs, not to mention new clutch plates(stock honda's seem to work the best). The tranny will hold up fine.

All this will cost you 3000 to 4000 bucks. Plus the cost of the 300.

Don't forget about the nerfs, pipe, skid plates, gripper seat, hand gaurds, dual row carrier, bumper, grab bar, and all of the other little things that add up to big money.

I do like my 330 though. And it does compete with 400EX's
    I would like to high-light this post for Crazy Honda to read...

Re: Re: Competetive 330

Originally posted by LTandRaptorider
    I would like to high-light this post for Crazy Honda to read...
    That is the reason I started this thread. I emailed a link to him to help him make up his mind what he wants to do. He won't put it thread up because it would take him three hours of looking up words in a dictionary to spell them so we could understand. J/P

Seriously, TLC was really fast on her 330ex, and the shorter chassis is a benifit in tight woods. I want to gather as many opinions as possible to help the guy out. He already got a fresh 330 in a chassis, with a 350x swingarm on it which will give him more length there. He is just debating between buying a Z400 or building his 330.
    Rider11x

2001 Honda 400ex XC Racer (SOLD)

2006 Yamaha Grizzly Realtree Camo

*Donegal Yamaha and Polaris*
    ****Tell them I sent ya!*****

i think its funny easpecaily in mx when a smaller quad beats a bigger quad they get off the next lap an start making excuses
    MaTT
    300ex
    white 400ex maier/coustom lengthed works /250R arms painted black,20 inch kenda KlAws, hmf slip on, uni air filter, ac nerfs, renthal fat bars, kenda front mxs , pro design kill switch, coustom skidplates >>> engine work or a new quad
    >xR- 50-joker bar kit, k&n, FmF POWer cORE 2 WElded on to strock header >PINEY POWER
    aim- mx300exshift

Cool

Maybe if this thread had pics instead of big words he has to read!!

Just kiddin Clyde... sortof!

Re: Re: Re: Competetive 330

Originally posted by RIDER11X
    That is the reason I started this thread. I emailed a link to him to help him make up his mind what he wants to do. He won't put it thread up because it would take him three hours of looking up words in a dictionary to spell them so we could understand. J/P

Seriously, TLC was really fast on her 330ex, and the shorter chassis is a benifit in tight woods. I want to gather as many opinions as possible to help the guy out. He already got a fresh 330 in a chassis, with a 350x swingarm on it which will give him more length there. He is just debating between buying a Z400 or building his 330.
    have you lads no compassion

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast