Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 400EX brakes SUCK!! Part 2

400EX brakes SUCK!! Part 2

I road this weekend with my parking brake off and a brand new set of EBC FULL METALLIC pads.Guess what I found after 5 hours of riding?My pads were half gone!Needless to say I was pissed.Next I will lub that pin the brake pedal is connected to.If that doesn't work I'm going to trade for a 2002 Rapter.I am that upset about the situation.Honda says that my problem would happen to any quad that is riden in sand,mud,and or water conditions but we all know better than that.Thanks for all the help guys,glad to see it's not just me.Sounds like Honda needs to address the problem.Do I hear class action?HA HA...........

you can get a raptor, but the brakes are made by the same company...

take a look in rocky mountain or dennis kirk, you will be amazed how many quads take the same pad p/n, because they all use the same caliper

lube up the brake pedal pivot point, and if your riding in really nasty stuff consider going to a solid rotor.

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Originally posted by Leo
    you can get a raptor, but the brakes are made by the same company...

take a look in rocky mountain or dennis kirk, you will be amazed how many quads take the same pad p/n, because they all use the same caliper

lube up the brake pedal pivot point, and if your riding in really nasty stuff consider going to a solid rotor.

Leo

very good point leo, what is this though ..my brake pads went out so now i have to get a new quad lmfao..ive bent broken and twisted alot of stuff on my 400 but ive never once screwed with the brakes , and there like new...even if a raptor had diffrent calipers i guess you would like the other common raptor problems........400EX BRAKES SUCK....come on have you ever ridden a blaster

Ok, your rear brakes SHOULD NOT wear out that fast. Either you have a problem with your rotor (is it bent at all?), ride in some real BAD sh*t,or you need to lay off the brakes a bit I would pull your caliper apart and clean it up really good. No need to trade that beast in on a Raptor because it has a rear brake problem...

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

Re: 400EX brakes SUCK!! Part 2

Originally posted by Blayde24
    I road this weekend with my parking brake off and a brand new set of EBC FULL METALLIC pads.Guess what I found after 5 hours of riding?My pads were half gone!Needless to say I was pissed.Next I will lub that pin the brake pedal is connected to.If that doesn't work I'm going to trade for a 2002 Rapter.I am that upset about the situation.Honda says that my problem would happen to any quad that is riden in sand,mud,and or water conditions but we all know better than that.Thanks for all the help guys,glad to see it's not just me.Sounds like Honda needs to address the problem.Do I hear class action?HA HA...........
    I don't think one person with a brake problem would constitute a class-action lawsuit!!!!!!!!!

Sounds like you have a bad piston. Probably wrecked the seal and water rusted up the piston, causing your brake to drag. Either that or you need to pick up your right foot off the lever.
    2004 TRX450R

Previously owned:1988 250R, 2000 400ex,1999 440ex,1994 300EX,1988 Tecate4,198? Tecate3,1984 ATC250R,1998 Blaster,1988 Blaster,1991 LT230(junk),1989 lt250S(4 stroke),numerous dirtbikes, streetbikes,sleds..and wifes 1998 3004x4

I replaced my pads only once, and a new rotor went along with it. All that happened was I bent my rotor and it ate the pads in 3 weeks. This is with a constant scratch, scratch, scratch noise and a light jerking under slow speeds. You could visually see the rotor was bent with the quad stopped it was so bad, but with all this, it took 3 weeks of riding every day after school to wear them out. It is hard to believe that after 5 hours of riding, the pads were half gone. I would say the pedal is sticking, or you are mistaking the pedal with the footpeg.

My pedal was sticking badly, but my rotor was bent at the time, so it didn't matter all that much. I just lubed it up good and I have had no problems with that or my brakes since.

I mainly just use the front brakes, because the rears lock up too easily to use for stopping fast. My stock front pads have been used A LOT since I got the quad last year, and they have about 3/4 to 7/8 of the pad left. My rear pads have no visual wear since I installed them several months ago.

It isn't the brakes on this one, at least I cannot see how, but I think you have a mechanical problem. The pads will not wear that fast under normal conditions, at least in my experience.
    2001 416EX
    Yeah, it's tuned.

i took my 400 to a mx track and rode for 6 hours in muds clay and my pretty new pad were gone by the end of the ride...i also read in dirtbike that riding in 20 min motos can eat up a set of pads..i know it's dirtbike but still....it's really where the mud is clay and gritty stuff eat em up

Stay out of the mud...

Ill bet this guy is also having trouble with his bearings... Did Honda make those wrong too? :devil
    80 horsepower engines on 300 pound frames... Thats like having 2000 horsepower in your family car.

STOLEN: 1995 TRX300EX *Cobra JET Exhaust *K&N Air Filter *.040 overbore with high comp piston and Porting *Works Suspension *Sunstar 14/36 Aluminum Sprockets *Web Full-Race Cam, Valves, and Springs *AC Nerf Bars *DG Baja Swingarm plate *Renthal "RM bend" Handlebars *Motion Pro Twist Throttle *Scott Comp2 Grips *Ceet gripper seat cover *Hotwire Ignition Wires *Filtered Airbox Vents *20X10X9 Titan Fast Trekker Rear tires

Brake pads are consumables, the more you use them, the nastier the conditions, the faster they'll need replaced - at least they're fairly cheap.

Sounds to me like you are looking for something to complain about, if that's all you can find, you should feel lucky - or maybe you really need to just buy that Raptor and see what it's REALLY like on the other side (take a quick peek at bluetrax if you want to see what kinds of things Raptor owners complain about.)

Try a solid rotor if you feel that you're going thru pads too quickly, heck, if you're having that much trouble, spend a little green and get a 250R dual piston rear caliper and solid rotor, you'll have a FAR better braking setup than any Yamaha ATV ever dreamed of - As Leo said the Raptor caliper is IDENTICAL to the 400EX - the last set of pads I bought, I got at a local Yamaha shop, they were for a Raptor.

If you'd been around the sport much at all, you'd be well aware of brake pad life, I've dealt with it on my hydraulic disk bikes for 15 years now - it's no different now than it was back then.

Thumbs down

Well im changing my brake pads for the 3rd time now and my machine is only 5 months old! Yeah i ride in pretty bad conditions and steep hills but i never thought id have to change the pads this many times so soon! Im not going to go out and buy a new machine or anything because of this but this is getting expensive
    $110 dollars in 5 months only in brake pads thats ****ed! Hopfully that these EBC Severe SV Duty Grade FA-84 will be a little better because the 84-R suck! Im glad to see that im not the only one that thinks that Honda rear brakes suck. I had my 92 quad racer 250 for 5 years and only had to change the pads once!:grr
    2001 Yellow 400 EX Loaded - SOLD

2003 Yellow LTZ 400 Loaded

2005 Green KFX 700 Semi Loaded

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast