Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ******** Article

******** Article

Has anyone read this article about Cory Ellis’s YZF450 at ********.com?

Now I’m really mad that Honda didn’t put the FCR carb on the TRX450. Here is what Cory had to say about it.

“The YFZ's stock thumb throttle cable controls the high performance FCR carb,(as opposed to the vacuum type carb that comes stock on the Honda TRX450R, which uses a slower intake vacuum to control the slide position. Comparatively, this gives Yamaha's FCR carb a much faster throttle response rate).”

Here is the cool way that Cory said Yamaha came up with to solve the safety problem. This is the no compromise innovations that I expected from Honda.

“The YFZ's stock thumb throttle assembly is controlled with a single throttle cable that directly controls the up and down movement of the throttle slide. According to Yamaha one of the challenges of utilizing this high performance carb was the safety factor in case of a stuck throttle situation. The YZ twist throttle combats this potential problem by having a separate throttle cable that pulls the slide back down when the twist throttle is turned back to neutral. On the YFZ, which as you know uses a thumb throttle, there is no way to utilize a secondary throttle cable. With that said, the stock YFZ uses an electronic version of Yamaha's patented T.O.R.S. (Throttle Override System). This system monitors both the thumb throttle and carb slide positions. As long as they are in sync everything is great. However, if by chance you let off the throttle and the slide stays open, the system shuts down the engine automatically to prevent a stuck throttle situation.”

This just shows me that Honda did not go all out with the TRX450R. After reading the article it looks like Yamaha really went all out with there bike in every area; engine, carb, suspension brakes, ergonomics. There isn't anything on that bike that Cory doesn't rave about. Basically he said that you could go out and win a GNC national on that bike stock. It just seems ridiculouse to have to put a new cam and high compression piston in the TRX450 to make it competitive with the Yamaha. Yamaha even sells full titanium exhaust pipes and 13:1 pistons for there bike. I think I’m going to buy a YFZ450 and maybe in the future if Honda upgrades there bike I might think about buying it. As a long time Honda fanatic, I expected a lot more out of Honda.

YOU thought you would have to do NO mods to the TRX450R? This proves nothing, the Honda will be right there with the other 2.........how about we wait to whine anymore til it actually hits the showrooms now? JIM
    ?????-----------------------------mine

1999 KTM 65 SX/ #100/------son's

Yea since honda and suzuki skipped him over for tim farr and doug gust, and since he owns a z400 and a yfz 450 it would be wise to think that he would kiss yamahas arce in public as much as he does just so he can be a factory backed ride and make the big bucks too! In his article he posted right after he rode the 450r he said it felt a little faster than the yfz in stock form I think he is just trying to get the big payday like everyone else that's all.

hahahhahaha

that tors system is the biggest piece of crap

one way to solve your problem....if your not impressed DONT BUY THE HONDA! simple as that...as far as im concerned im highly impressed at how honda made their quad, and im highly impressed at how yamaha made their quad. THe only reason i would choose the R over it, would be because i really like honda..but that doesnt mean that the yamaha is bad. and just because honda didnt put an fcr on the R doesnt mean it bad. i agree with AlaskaSpeed...just wait and see
    2005 TRX450r

I'm not trying to start something here I'm just giving my 2 cents. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that Yamaha has made and incredible machine that will set the bar for years to come in the high performance ATV market and go down in anals of ATV history as one of the greatest high performance machines ever made much like the Fourtrax 250R. Myself, I'm waiting until 2005 to decide on buying a TRX450R because I dought that Honda will make any changes to the TRX450R before it's released. What you see on their web site this year is what we are going to get. I think it boils down to that old saying Honda is the reliability leader and Yamaha is the performance leader.

I tell ya what....I'll pick up the new Honda just so I am sure I have the BEST quad......lol
    ?????-----------------------------mine

1999 KTM 65 SX/ #100/------son's

I was reading in ATV Sport Magazine that the opinion of the industry is that the best Honda can do is equal the performance the YZF450 and even that is a big if. After ridig the YFZ I would have to agree with that. I can't think of anything I would want Yamaha to upgrade on the bike. It is really that good. Hopefully Honda will update the TRX450 after a year or so like they do with there motocross bikes.
    2000 Honda 400EX
    2002 Yamaha Raptor
    2004 Yamaha YFZ450
    2006 Suzuki Quadsport 50

dude that bike had $9,625 worth of mods done to it. lol

Imagine a trx450r with 10 grand dumped into it. hmmm I'll wait

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast