Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longer shifter - any ideas?

Longer shifter - any ideas?

I need a shifter that is at least 1" - 1.5" longer then the stocker. I'm wondering if I could just get one for a bike or something, but I really have no idea how compatible they are. Anybody have any idea?

Have you pulled the shifter off and put it back on with it pointing upward more instead of being parallel with the ground?? After buying my new boots and putting on the peg extenders I rotated mine up about 3 - 4 splines, and it was much easier to shift..

Yeah, I had to do that when I started wearing boots. Problem is I'm rigging something up that is going to make my pegs more forward and lower and it looks like the shifter is going to hit too much in the middle of my foot to shift easily....

Originally posted by remlapr
    Problem is I'm rigging something up

You in grandpa's cough syrup again....

Nah - I just want to try something. Only problem is I'm going to have to destroy a set of pro pegs to do it. By the way - does anyone know if you can cut steel with a dremel??

steel cutting

For the type of cutting you are looking to do you'll probably burn up the little thing along with a 100 or so of those little wheels. I do tool and die work and machining and if you are thinking of cutting up a peg find an aircompressor and a die grinder or a good cut off saw. Slow and steady can work too, get a good quality hacksaw and take your time with a little oil and a vise you can handle it. Torches always leave a big mess behind and alot of extra grinding. Again the key to the hacksaw is take you time and keep it straight.
    05' Yellow Z434,hotcams, DRZe kit, Kibblewhite valves,Pro armor race nerfs, belly, swing skid,Denton stabilizer, powermadds.FCR39, Full HMF, ESR airbox eliminator. CDI box.C&D rebuilds, Burgard +2 nickel arms, LSR chrome +1 swinger w/ GT Thunder rebuild and link.Burgard black powdered beads/razr2's. Bare gusset frame, super mirrorblack powdered,Pappy stealth black and fire red stuff, Nickel Burgard stem, Lonestar axle. Dr.D reverse,ModQuad billetbling.
    It's all good!

OhioMafiaRiders.com

dont destroy your pro pegs you idiot, do it without them.yes you can if you have a few cans of disc and a whole weekend to cut crap, get a air cut off wheel or a reciprical saw.

you could take your stock shifter to a wled shop, have them cut it add a bit and there ya go
    ~ MHSC ~ Martin B.#713

~Thanks to all the 06 sponsors~ Elka Suspension, GT Thunder, IMS Products, Nacs Racing, JH Racing, Hiper Wheels

~Thanks to all the 05 sponsors~ Elka Suspension, Denton Racing, Nacs Racing, IMS Products

08 HD Sportster
    O4 450R
    00 Silvarado 1500 Z71
    RIP Colton Jenkins 1988-2005

yea, that too

yep 400exracer is right I did that to my kids 250 skyhawk. Welded up about 1.5" to it blended it and had it chromed.
    05' Yellow Z434,hotcams, DRZe kit, Kibblewhite valves,Pro armor race nerfs, belly, swing skid,Denton stabilizer, powermadds.FCR39, Full HMF, ESR airbox eliminator. CDI box.C&D rebuilds, Burgard +2 nickel arms, LSR chrome +1 swinger w/ GT Thunder rebuild and link.Burgard black powdered beads/razr2's. Bare gusset frame, super mirrorblack powdered,Pappy stealth black and fire red stuff, Nickel Burgard stem, Lonestar axle. Dr.D reverse,ModQuad billetbling.
    It's all good!

OhioMafiaRiders.com

I'm not cutting them in two. I'm mainly need to cut off some welded on tabs. So I'm think if I can just weaken the welds them then put the peg in a vice I can break them off. It's impossible to explain without see what kind of Pro pegs I have. They are the magnums if you know what they are. The pegs are actually part of the nerf bar.

Back to my original question, I'm hoping I can just buy one designed for a different quad or dirt bike that is longer?? Does anybody think this will work??

cut

they make air powered cut off wheels that will cut in seconds and i cut my shifter and added a inch and heliarc welded it back with ease pm me maybe i can be of service?
    CUSTOM ALUMINUM AIR/BAT BOXS 400EX
    ----------------------------------------
    2000,2001-400,416 ex,stk,10.8-1 hrc cam,uni filter, custom oil tank,bat box,douglas wheels,fmf slipon,42 pilot,160 main,choke removed,grd header,works tripple rates front with resies,works gold valve rear,16 tooth frt, stk rear gearing,rear spacers,custom nerf bars,
    frameprotectors ,outerwares,prm skid plates,bush guards,custom handlebar pad,throttle lightning,gel grips,ac bumper,denton steering damper,maire pack,air scoops,air snorkle remove,bat relocate,250r clutch lever assy,xr250rev box,parking brake blkoff,bar mt gps, shockwares,ext steering stem 1",holeshot xcrs rear,xcts front,custom brush guards, custom welded wheel stiffiners front and rear,black seat.
    ------------------------------------------------
    kawsam62@hotmail.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast