Thread: 400ex Front Sprocket

400ex Front Sprocket

My 400ex that I bought used, came with a 16t front sprocket on it. With a 16t front there isnt enough room to use a case saver. I was thinking about about buying a 15t front(stock) so I can use a case saver. What kind of difference will this make? I ride track and trails, and dont race. Should I get a 15t or stick with the 16t? Thanks.
    My For Sale thread : http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110696

What kind of case saver is it? I have a Pro Design case saver and it has plenty of room, I run a 16t front sprocket.

Like he said they make case savers that will fit with a 16 tooth sprocket, but id think u would want a 15 tooth anyway with a stock 400ex on the trails.
    05 YFZ
    Custom Axis, Ars-Fx, Hiper, Rekluse, Pro-tec Skids.... Nuff Said!

OXC #317 B-Class

I just put a 16t on my lightly modded 400 a couple weeks ago & just modified the stock case saver to fit.

It took about 20 minutes with my dremel tool.
    Grind out about 1/8" or less from the inside curve, real easy.

Just grind it some & test it until it fits right.
    It's still plenty thick or I wouldn't have used it.

Plus it's free & if you don't have a dremel tool just go to the hardware store, you can get a grinding bit to use in any drill.

I just trail ride & dont race, so
    I got a lot of room to run fast & I absolutley love the 16t front.

I also bought a sparks degree key but havent put it on yet, I didn't want to do both mods at once so I could see if I could tell a difference when I installed the key, but from what I've read on here that should perk up the bottom end some.

1st was always too low for me anyway.

07' 450R
    07' FOREMAN ES
    09' TRX250X
    86' ATC250SX

if anyone wants to get rid of a 16 t front sprocket, I've been looking for one, no one carries them though... where do you guys get them???thanks-darren
    I ride a 440ex-
    JE, Hotcam, Hinson, Barnett, HMF, FMF, Douglas, Maier, Elka, FCR, Lonestar Racing Ceet, Renthal..... buncha other crap that makes it fast and such.

THANKS TO-Fellow exriders' hook ups, Pappy's Performance Coatings

MSN- Darrenkaiser@hotmail.com
    Daredevil416ex@yahoo.com...

I got mine at the local Honda shop.

Mine is a Renthal

You can order em from any atv catalog.
    C&D probably has em.

07' 450R
    07' FOREMAN ES
    09' TRX250X
    86' ATC250SX

Thanks. I'm going to shave the stock case saver down a little bit until I decide if I want to switch or not. Our trails are pretty much wide open and I've never really had a problem stalling it, just a couple times in really tight stuff...Will the 15t make it a lot slower? Maybe I could put a 15t on and take 1 or 2 teeth off the back and that would be about half way in between a 15t and a 16t right?
    My For Sale thread : http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110696

I looked into trimming up the stock case saver and there is no way that I can get it to fit in there. If I did, it would be very thin and probably wouldnt help much at all. I have decided to switch to a 15t front. Should I replace the stock chain and rear sprocket also? If I do I think I will take 1 or 2 teeth off of it(rear)...