Thread: Stalling

Stalling

I would appreciate feedback from anyone who has encountered this problem or knows how to solve it...

Whenever my 400EX (2001) sits for a few days (cold or warm weather) and I go to start it there is a hesitation - almost like the carb is clogged. If I hit the throttle is stalls out...

After a few minutes it will idle and then run fine - I do not want to do any engine damage - any thoughts, ideas or opinions...

DeDo
    2001 400EX
    --------------------------------
    DG Full Skidplate
    DG Swingarm Skidplate
    DG A-Arm Guards
    ITP 22x11x9 Holeshot XCT Rears
    ITP 23x7x10 Holeshot XCT Fronts
    ITP Edge 9x9 Wheels (Rear)
    Trail Tech Speedometer
    Shockwear Covers

Yup, mine dose the same thing! I think its pretty common.
    2001 Yellow 400 EX Loaded - SOLD

2003 Yellow LTZ 400 Loaded

2005 Green KFX 700 Semi Loaded

mine does it too. just need to hold a bit of throttle (just barely touching it) utill it stops surging (you know what I am talking about, right?) seems to work for me.
    -Jeff

"yeah! i know what you mean...i was what 5 and a half maybe it was Japan right before 3 times and I was still excited but thats ok it didnt hurt so we just spent the night later i'll finish the lawn dude" -JabberJaw

i have the same problem in the winter especially, just push the throttle in 2 or 3 times, then dont hit the gas anymore and hit the starter button, and then give it some more gas. i was puzzled at first but they dealer told me since they have and accelerator pump in the carb, it's easy to flood them by not opening the throttle first. hope this helps. later
    86 250r
    PEP LT
    LSR
    AC
    LRD

Yup thats a cold blooded 4-stroke.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

Someone on this great site once said "to start the cool blooded beast 1-pump it all the way 3/4 times 2-just crack it open a little (about 1/4 or less )hold it 3- hit it BAMMM! every time. then go ahead and drive arround some to warm up.":blah
    01 EX with many mods

3 or 4 pumps of the gas hit the starter and if it starts let it sit and run for a minute before ya jump on it and giver hell..