Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to lube the rear axle baring???

Question how to lube the rear axle baring???

My friend just blew $700 on getting a new baring, carrier, and his axle machined, because, it failed on him while he was riding. He has 99 or 00 400ex and the cahin adjuster broke as well.
    I was wondering is there a way to lube it so it doesn't fail on me as well. I ride mx and some trails and a lot of sand so it will wear a lot faster than noraml??
    thanks a lot for your help
    400exBro

Also should i lube the cam shaft chain so it doesn't reck prematuraly and make my engine worth crap?? And how should i do so? I am running Kendall full synthetic oil right now, 5w-40
    thanks
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

Timo Nielsen: CMRC ATV Intermediate class #99

The bearings are going to fail, its just a matter of time. They are sealed and cannot be greased either. You can remove the outer seals and the bearing race seal as well to shove in some grease, but you can't replace the race seal once you have done this. Basically the bearing is very susceptable to moisture and trash then. When you replace the bearings there are ways to drill the carrrier, install a zerx fitting and get some grease to the bearings, but you have to remove the inner race seal and take a chance of blowing the outer race seals everytime you pump in the grease. I did this to my 300.

The best thing to do is check your bearings everytime you clean it good. Jack it up and check for play. You should be able to catch it before the bearings have a chance to seize, however, freak things do happen. It just happened to a friend of mine with new bearings!
    Honda, Best On Earth
    2000 400EX, 1996 300EX and a 1997 LT80 - each with a bunch of custom schtuff on'em!
    2001 CR250
    2002 KDX220

thanks 400exdad,
    I read that, you should buy a aftermarket carrier and go to a over sized baring(i think 4) and they will last longer, is this true?
    Also what company makes good aftermarket axle baring carriers, i know lonestar makes some, but who else makes them as well.
    thanks
    400exBro

Also what type of baring is it, ball baring, typered, ect.
    Last edited by 400exBro; 02-10-2002 at 07:30 AM.
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

So far, I haven't bought an aftermarket bearing carrier. I really don't ride that hard, however, I am pretty heavy and I do RIDE. I like to go pretty fast in the woods and take some jumps.
    There are double row bearings which have 4 bearings in the rear and there are the, oh heck, can't think of it.. the bearings are like a car, conical in shape and you tighten everything up and leave some clearance. (Tapered! Just went back and reread your post) A bunch of my friends have replaced their carriers and some haven't. Too be honest, I don't see the reliablilty improve with the aftermarket stuff. Maybe some mx'rs here will report differently. Personally, if I ever change, it won't be to a tapered. I would rather tighten everything up against each other with races.
    Last edited by 400exdad; 02-10-2002 at 07:42 AM.
    Honda, Best On Earth
    2000 400EX, 1996 300EX and a 1997 LT80 - each with a bunch of custom schtuff on'em!
    2001 CR250
    2002 KDX220

routine inspection of the bearings will save a considerable amount of $$ down the road.. the number 1 reason folks switch to aftermarket carriers is they let there bearings go to long and wiped out the stock carrier

when changing rear bearings always make sure to change the spacer tube at the same time.

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

thanks a lot guys
    later
    400exBro
    07 Honda
    04 Honda

How do you install the grease zerk on the carrier?

heres a good way to grease rear

hey dude me and my brother had the same problem but we caught it just in time. we drilled a hole somewhere on the rear axle carrier (trying to git it centered to look good ) and tapped the hole to put an "allimite"(something like that) in the hole so right before we go riding just pump it full of grease. we ride in a creek a lot during the summer so we have to fight sand and water and mud this helped a lot .
    BECAREFUL NOT TO STRIP THE "ALLIMITE"!!!!!!!!!! IF U DO U JUST SCREWED UP AND NOW U HAVE TO FIND A LARGER ONE !!!
    hope this helped out some

nonnie45acp-

do you have any pictures? do you have to drill a hole through the swingarm for the allimite or grease zerk?

Originally posted by 400exdad
    They are sealed and cannot be greased either. You can remove the outer seals and the bearing race seal as well to shove in some grease, but you can't replace the race seal once you have done this.
    I'm going to have to disagree with you on this. You can remove the race seals, re-grease the bearings, and replace the seals as long as you're careful not to bend them up too much. I just did it to mine and my dad has been doing it on his smowmobile suspension bearings for years. It's a good idea to get new outer seals though as you usually ruin them taking them out.
    SMC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast