Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hot start button

Hot start button

What is a hot start button for? A couple of the mags say that the 450 has one on the left side of the handlebars.
    1999 416ex:
    Maxxis Razr2 Fronts; Maxxis Razr Rears; Hi-Per Carbon Fiber wheels;White Brother's E-Series Slip on; AC Pro-Peg nerf bars; AC swingarm skid plate; DG full Body skid plate; DG A-arm guards; DG Front bumper; K&N power kit; Houser steering stem and clamp; Tag X5 bars; Scott Comp2 grips; Enduro Engeneering Handguards; IMS large capacity gas tank; N-Style gripper seat cover; Gunner teather killswitch; Lonestar brake blockoff plate; #42 pilot jet; #155 main jet; Wiseco 11-1 piston; Hotcams Stage 2; ProFab heavy duty timing chain; Heavy Duty Clutch Springs; 14 tooth front Sprocket; High Speed Dirt HD tie rods; Custom Axis Dual Rate Shocks; Outerwears airbox cover, shock covers; Maier smoothy hood, oil line guard, frame guards; Heavy Duty YUASA battery; Ground welds in stock headpipe; Galfer Red Stainless Steel Brake Lines; DID chain; Sunstar Sprockets; Tinner's Air Scoops.

These new 4-strokes have difficulty starting when the engine is hot. This button just engages a circuit on the carb to ease starting. (Ever see a guy wreck a YZF dirtbike during a race and have to kick it for 5 minutes before it'll start?)

Originally posted by Guy400
    These new 4-strokes have difficulty starting when the engine is hot. This button just engages a circuit on the carb to ease starting. (Ever see a guy wreck a YZF dirtbike during a race and have to kick it for 5 minutes before it'll start?)

no its all myth, once u know how to start yer bike its no diff than strarting a xr 400 or cr 250

Originally posted by freeride132
    no its all myth, once u know how to start yer bike its no diff than strarting a xr 400 or cr 250
    Well than an awful lot of people don't know how to start their bikes because I see everytime I go to the races. When one of the newer thumpers stall they have a heck of a time getting it going again. I'd say 75% of the stalls I see have trouble starting again. Plus, if it really wasn't that widespread of a problem I doubt Honda would go to the trouble of adding a Hot Start button.

Why wouldnt an electric start quad have a hot start? The electric start is more powerful then a kick?

Originally posted by QuadTrix6
    Why wouldnt an electric start quad have a hot start? The electric start is more powerful then a kick?
    The Honda doesn't have electric start, only kick.
    '02 Red 400
    It's faster now then when I bought it!

i dont think he was asking that...........i think he meant why wouldnt a quad w/ electric start have a hot start on it.........because when u have electric start, the starter motor turns the motor over as many times as needed to start the motor....apposed to a kick start which only spins the motor over when you kick it..so its alot more difficult to get a kick starter cranked up, then a electric, so thats why they put the hot start on it.
    2005 TRX450r

I think it's because of the new electronics, but some guys said that the TRX450R is one of the quickest and easiest kick starting motor they have ever seen. EVEN AFTER A FEW LAPS and its HOT.

Re: Hot start button

Originally posted by GNCC#829
    What is a hot start button for? A couple of the mags say that the 450 has one on the left side of the handlebars.

HIGH COMPRESSION 4 STROKES ARE FAIRLY EASY TO START WHEN COLD, BUT VERY DIFFICULT WHEN HOT. THE HOT START BUTTON WHEN ACTIVATED ALLOWS A "CONTROLLED AIR LEAK" TO CREATE A LEAN CONDITION TO EASE STARTING. AS SOON AS THE ENGINE IS RUNNING YOU DEACTIVATE THE BUTTON.

Originally posted by Doibugu2
    The Honda doesn't have electric start, only kick.
    I know. I was talking abt any 4 stroke with electric start ( raptor, 400ex, yfx etc..) to see why they dont have a hot start button

Originally posted by Out_Sider
    i dont think he was asking that...........i think he meant why wouldnt a quad w/ electric start have a hot start on it.........because when u have electric start, the starter motor turns the motor over as many times as needed to start the motor....apposed to a kick start which only spins the motor over when you kick it..so its alot more difficult to get a kick starter cranked up, then a electric, so thats why they put the hot start on it.
    Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast