Thread: Grease Steering Stem??

Grease Steering Stem??

I was told by someone that the steering stem bushing requires grease on occasion, is this true? And what kind of grease is the best to use? My steering stem has been squeaky for some time, so I think he might be right. Thanks for the help.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

Mine also...

Yup it's common,,, I just use regular grease that I use fo my pickup truck,,but not too much to wear it's a sloppy greasy mess..

I use white grease around the edge of the steering bushing, where it turns. It eventually works in there and lasts about a month, then i have to do it again. Right way to do it is take it apart and grease the whole inside of that bushing. I will do that someday also...........

Andrew
    Thunder Racing 2 stroke engine builders

2003 Suzuki Z400
    1999 Yamaha R6, Too many mods to list

I answered my own question shortly after this post. I took the headlights out and removed the two 12mm bolts holding the clamps in place, removed the bushing and greased the inside of it with wheel bearing grease.

Now it steers easier and no more annoying squeak!!
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

MIne got squeaky after riding in the rain at haspen. Took mine apart and found dirt and grit. auto type grease or lithium based works well.
    2001 Red 400EX
    AC chassis and swingarm skids, shockwears, Uni filter and airbox mod, 165 main 40 pilot jet, WB E-series, alloy bars cr bend, WB blockoff, yz lever and perch, GCD (tinner's) air scoops.

Other ATV'S
    01' Scrambler 500 (for sale)

i used marine grease,it lasted a year and 4 months

I occasionally spray it down with chain wax/oil. Its nothing to do considering Im oiling the chain already. Actually If I'm not riding my bike for a bit, I spray as much of the metal on the bike that i can with chain oil, (or WD-40, if i have it around) so she don't rust.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~