Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do first? Shocks or wheels???

What to do first? Shocks or wheels???

Should I get wheels and tires or get tires(use stock wheels( and shocks(front elka). I am going to be racing xc. If I get wheels I am going to get carbon fiber on the rear and race wheels on the front. If i get shocks I will probably get the cheaper elkas. I am going to get 6 ply razors for the front and rear. Both would run abour the same cost. Just under $800. Which would you suggest? I already have most everything else needed(bumper,skid plates, nerf bars, handle bars, helmet, boots, etc...)Thanks for the help. CJ

Thumbs up

shocks...

400MXer is offline They call me"Tater Salad"
    go with tires on stock rims, and shocks.
    Retired --- For Now

Wow, tough question. Riders usually ask motor mods first, or shocks first. My answer to that is definetly shocks first.

For XC, you definetly need good tires. As for rims, stock rims are actually good rims, even for XC racing. Shocks made a world of a difference for me.... My 2 cents.... go with shocks, you can even upgrade them in time if you need to.

Good luck racing.

I would say the shocks also. The stock 400EX tires are pretty good for the most part and the rims are actually pretty tough as long as you stay out of the trees.

Best setup would be to get the shocks and squeeze out a set of 22" Razors or Holeshots for the rear and keep the stock rims and front tires. That would be a good combo to start with until you get the $$$ to complete what you want to do.

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to get race wheels and the new holeshot xcr's on the rear and get xc's for the front to go on my stock wheels. I need to buy a few other things so for now I am going to put the shock purchase off. I was going to order a pair of thor t-20 boots, but changed my mind and bought a pair of alpinestar tech-6's. I went to a local shop and tried both on and in my opinion the alpinestar is far superior. And it should be for $120 more. I wanted a confortable boot and those definitely are. I also needed to buy pants and a new pair of roll off goggles. With the wife's $1000 budget, that didn't leave any room for shocks. Plus I really want the triple rate elkas with comp adjustability. For $750 those will have to wait till next year. I also wanted to get my rear shock rebuilt at the same time. I figured it is my first year of racing and will be a total learning experience. By next year I should have a better feel of what shocks and set-up I need. Again thanks for the help. CJ

If you are going to be racing XC and this is your 1st year best of luck and have some fun. The thing that is most important is to have good shocks. The stock ones will last about 1/2 of the year and then they will be shot. Stay with the stock wheels and get the 20" tires. The 400 has a small problem in XC races coming out of corners with any speed compared to the 20" tires. Save your money and dont buy the carbon fiber wheels. Try and find some 250r or any other older wheels. They are stronger than the 400ex wheels. Also, get some 250r tierods, the 400 tierods will bend. With your $1000 get the pants, boots,shocks, and tires. The wife will let you buy the other items later when you break the stock ones.
    I have been riding and racing the GNCC since 1987 so I think that I know a little about them and what works.

Originally posted by tprender
    If you are going to be racing XC and this is your 1st year best of luck and have some fun. The thing that is most important is to have good shocks. The stock ones will last about 1/2 of the year and then they will be shot. Stay with the stock wheels and get the 20" tires. The 400 has a small problem in XC races coming out of corners with any speed compared to the 20" tires. Save your money and dont buy the carbon fiber wheels. Try and find some 250r or any other older wheels. They are stronger than the 400ex wheels. Also, get some 250r tierods, the 400 tierods will bend. With your $1000 get the pants, boots,shocks, and tires. The wife will let you buy the other items later when you break the stock ones.
    I have been riding and racing the GNCC since 1987 so I think that I know a little about them and what works.

tprender's correct & saved me some typing. Go with the front shocks first! My stock shocks are holding me back bad. Run the stock rims for now. The stock front tires are o/k. Get rid of the stock rear tires & get some razrs or holeshots or any flat tread type tire. The rear stockers will throw you when you slide around corners. Do not go with the 22'' rears, stay with the 20''s. My friend who races X/C (he's way better than me) tried some 22''s on his 400 for fun in the last race we were in. He hated them, said they were way to tippy. Hes going back to 20's. Hope this helps
    Toys: A small boat and some beach bicycles

Sgaexer, What kind of Shocks do You and Your Buddy run?
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

Originally posted by WarriorMan
    Sgaexer, What kind of Shocks do You and Your Buddy run?
    I'm running the stockers for now, allmost have enough cash saved up for aftermarkets. My friend is running custom axis.
    Toys: A small boat and some beach bicycles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast