Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head stud pulling out of the cylinder

Thumbs down Head stud pulling out of the cylinder

So I was putting my engine back together. Put the head back on, put the nut on and started torquing, untill I noticed that the stud was pulling out of the cylinder. So I took the head off and looked at the stud and saw that it stripped out the threads and shavings were coming up.

Any suggestions on what to do?

there are a couple of options from what i read. most just get larger aftermarket studs. i would do a search because i don't know much on this topic.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

retap it. or maybe you can helicoil those too?
    2003 4??EX w/: too much stuff to list. im afraid to total the receipts.
    2001 AC ZR600 vev efi le ITS FORSALE
    1995 Chevy S-10 LS 4.3 5speed 6/7 drop with some custom stuff....lowest static in town....

You will need to helicoil it and it will be fine.
    Big B

But will a helicoil be good enough to hold that kind of pressure and torque?

Personally, I would use the oppurtunity to install oversized studs but yes a Helicoil will work.
    2001 416EX
    Yeah, it's tuned.

Witch stud was it. I ran into the problem of blowing head gasket on my 440 so i was gonna go with oversized studs untill i contacted sparks. There fix is a longer stud in the front towards the exhaust where most of the heat is. the stock studs will strech when they get real hott. so i ordered the longer stud from them 15 bucks took it to they guy i have all my machine work do drill it out 6MM deeper and re tap it. Sparks builds there 440 with a 12.5 to 1 piston and havent had a blown one yet they told me and they have buil 14 to 1 quads runnin on alky. yes i know it will run a lil cooler on alky but that is a lot of compression.

I just got it back from lieing/cheating sparks, got the stud kit done. Was putting the motor together. Put the nut on the stud and starting torquing and the whole stud pulled out. They wasted three months of my time to screw me and my motor up. I found a local guy about 1 1/2 months ago that can do it all anyway. He's the one fixing sparks mistake.

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....

Duncan is selling a billet aluminum cylinder now that is supposed to eliminate these problems. Check it out.

It's called the PC4000 and is so new it is not on the website yet, but was advertised in one of this months mags.
    Rider11x

2001 Honda 400ex XC Racer (SOLD)

2006 Yamaha Grizzly Realtree Camo

*Donegal Yamaha and Polaris*
    ****Tell them I sent ya!*****

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast