Thread: quick base gasket question...

quick base gasket question...

am I supposed to use copper sealant on a OEM base gasket for the 400ex? Both sides? Heavy? Light?

I noticed also that the gasket has some sort of black lines on it. Are these supposed to melt and provide better sealing?

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....

i don't think you are suppose to use sealant on the gasket at all. i know i didn't and i am not haveing any problems. i am not sure what the black lines are on it for. i used the cosmetic gaskets. the only thing i can think of is if the lines are only on one side it will indicate which side of the gasket goes up or down. however, the base gasket only goes on one way.
    2005 450r

*sold* 2001 400ex

"If you think you can, you can. If you think you can't, your right."

"A leader will take you where you want to go. A great leader will not necessarily take you where you want to go but where you ought to be."

"If you want to do something, you will find a way; if you don't, you'll find and excuse!"

"Its not aptitude but attitude that determines your altitude."

DO NOT put any sealant on any of the gaskets
    C&D Racing, the official sponsor of ATVriders.com and your #1 aftermarket and OEM parts shop! 402-614-2508

1st place +30 2010 IATVHSS
    #28 IATVHSS 09 Polaris 525S and 525IRS
    1st Place Industry Class 2008 Heartland Challenge
    1st Place Industry Class 2007 Maxxis 12 hrs
    www.cdracingonline.com
    check out the products we carry http://www.cdracingonline.com/sell.html

10-4 Colby. I'm doing it right this time.

No copper on base OR head gasket...got it.

Glamis
    NEW RIDE.....
    Houser Framed '02 CRF450 Hybrid. Powdercoated gold, chrome Houser sub-frame, Houser +4 no-link swingarm, +2 houser a arms, Houser stem, Tag T2 bars, +4 Dominator2 axle, Elka rear shock, Fox Float front shocks, Hardkore hubs, Dream waterpump cover, Dream clutch cover, Fullbore plastic, AC Pro-pegs,braided brake lines, and more....