Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splitfire problems???

Cool Splitfire problems???

I am currently running a Splitfire plug in my bike and just heard from a factory JetSki rider that they shatter. Has anyone ever heard this or had dealing with it in any way? Let a fellow EX'er know. Thanx
    2001 400EX, WB R-4 pipe, K&N filter and jet kit, Oury grips, Precision Concepts tuned shocks, Pro Designs deadman, and always LOOKING for ideas!!!

I've been running a Splitfire plug in my 400ex.....no problems to date.

And I though Splitfire was the design of the tip, I didn't know it was what happens to them when used.....:grr :blah JK

400MXer is offline They call me"Tater Salad"
    Did you notice any gains from the plug?
    Retired --- For Now

I personnaly did not notice any performance gains.

Back in 1997, I ordered a K&N filter for my 300ex, and at that time everyone told me that the filter and "Splitfire" sparkplug was a hot set-up. Ever since, I used the Splitfire in my 300ex.

I have yet to have any spark plug problems....knock on wood. I even use Splitfire plugs in my pickup truck, no problems. As for a performance gain, not that I notice.

The splitfire plugs won't do anything for power unless you use a high output ignition. I have found that they don't foul as quickly but it's not worth the extra money.
    '02 400 EX - Bling, Bling !

I use a split fire plug, I like it a lot better than NGK ones anyway, Ive had the same splitfir plug in my quad since December of 2000, its the most perfectest color imaginable, I dunno, just my preference
    kc

I don't understand the logic behind the split fire plug. Think about it. Electricity will take the shortest distance to ground. The spark is not going to split, to create a bigger spark. It is simply going to pick the side that is closer. This is my opinion anyway.

ExerMike

I've had good experiance with splitfires, had like 15 rides on the same plug! The NGK used to foul on me every two or three rides. As for performance gains, I seriously doubt any spark plug would produce noticible performance gains. About the most you can ask for from a plug is easier cold starting and less fouling
    Mitch
    00' TRX400EX
    Wiseco 11:1 piston, Webcam, "custom" dented FMF powercore, Elka tripple rate front shocks w/cans, Laeger +2 A-arms, Elka revalved stock rear shock, Houser +1.25 Swingarm, RAD bearing carrier, RPM dominator axle, Gussetted stock frame, E-brake removed w/LSR block off, MSR aluminum bars, Shaved fenders, AC propeg nerfs, K&N air filter, headlights and taillight removed

My website, check it out

I use the split fire Tripple Platium. The spf (splitfire shortened) doesn't split into to sparks, They put these on there to give the spark more place to jump from. The more sharper angles on a spark plug give it more chances to fire easier with more intensity.
    Regular spark plugs wear out beacuse the middle electrode usualy rounds off and the spark has to work harder to jump across. The platium metal in spark plugs lasts longer because it it harder and Platium has less resittance so it transfers eletrictly easier. It's all very complicated and I tried to simplify it a little. If you want ot learn about spark plugs and how they realy work then go to www.ngksparkplugs.com I love NGK plugs but they don't offer a platium plug for the 400ex. I have used NGK for years now and woulnd't put anthing else in my quad. But the stock DPR8Z fouls out too easly in cold weather. Had the Spf and not had to replace it yet, It seems to start a little easier on those cold days too..

Just my 2 cents..

i always thought platinum had a lot of resistance. why don't they make spark plugs with a silver coating or something (silver is a better conducter than even gold i think)
    1985 LT250R < stolen!
    2002 400EX

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast