View Poll Results: what exhaust is right for my 400?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Big gun

3 7.50%
  • Yoshimura

8 20.00%
  • FMF Powercore IV

4 10.00%
  • FMF Titanium 4

1 2.50%
  • White Brothers E-Series

17 42.50%
  • White Brothers R-4

4 10.00%
  • FMF Powerbomb header with 1 of the abover slip-ons

3 7.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: !400ex exhaust shoot-out!

!400ex exhaust shoot-out!

Hey i'm ready to get a exhaust sytem for my 400, and i was wondering wut i should get. Below i listed some im interested in. I want a pipe that isnt too loud but loud enuff to sound good with a k&n and the air box lid off. Thanks.

stock lol

Yeah I heard on the 400ex just putting a pipe doesnt do much. adds only like 1 or 2 hp. But with internal mods a pipe can wake it up and do more. With the money for a pipe I would do something else first. Maybe put in a higher comp piston and a cam or something. Then a pipe. But someone that has a 400 should be able to help you more than me
    ------------------------------------------
    quadless,
    stolen about 4 months ago
    2002 yellow 250ex
    finally recovered and now insurance co. owns it. not gonna be buying back either.

For the same money your going to spend on that aftermarket exhaust, I would buy a JE 416 (87mm) piston, stock xr400 cam (they just drop in) grind out the weld on the stock head pipe if needed, rejet to a 158 main and a 42 pilot and slighlty trim the air box. You can do all this for about 300.00$ Your 400 will wake up from this better than a 500$ pipe. Then if you still want sound that is resonable buy a FMF Q series slip-on. They sound good and only produce 92-94 decibel (stock 88dc) the ones you listed run about 100-102dc. That's what I've done. It sound like a sleeper but you don't want to mess withit in the moring when it wakes up..

Thats what I thought but wasnt sure. I know if I had a 400ex this is what I would be doing first. Oh and you can get quiet cores for the e-series and some of the others that drops the db by about 3 db. Dont knoe if it hurts the power or not though.
    quadless,
    stolen about 4 months ago
    2002 yellow 250ex
    finally recovered and now insurance co. owns it. not gonna be buying back either.

I actually heard that an exhaust is one of the best things you can do to your 400ex. I think the yoshi is one of the best pipes out there because everyone i talk to who owns em loves em.
    2007 can am outlander 800

On the Dyno a Pipe only makes 1 to 2 more HP than Stock, but wonce you ride a 400EX with a Pipe it feels like it added more than that. I love my TC Pipe. If you want more Bottom End, a Pipe, K&N Air Filter, Outerwear, and a Re-Jetted Carb will help a lot. Now, a JE 416 Piston and XR400 Cam would give you a lot more Power then a Pipe would. Plus the 416 Piston and Cam Kit cost around $300 from Marcum`s. That would be a good way to go. If you got the Piston, Cam, Pipe, Air Filter, Outerwear, and Re-Jetted the Carb you would have a HUGE Gain over Stock. That`s the way to go. If you don`t have the money for all that stuff right now, I would get the Pipe, Filter, Outerwear, and Re-Jet the Carb first. Then if you still want more Power, (Most Guys Do) then a JE 416 Piston and XR400 Cam would be calling your name.

Out of the Pipes listed, I would get a Yoshimura, White Brothers, or the FMF Powercore Q with a Powerbomb Header. Really I don`t know why you need to replace the Header unless you have a 440 or Bigger. TC Racing runs a Stock Header on all of his Engines. A lot of guys like the Yoshimura Pipe. I think it would be a good Pipe. White Brothers is the most common Pipe for a 400EX. The FMF is also good. Any of those Three Pipes will be good.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

That's one of the great things about the FMF Q series. It's a great performance pipe that don't have to be jacked with. You get full performance without the ear shrattering noise. ( those who like the ear shattering noise, I like it too, just not on my quad) It's a little more expencive though. I think they run around 275-300 for a slip-on.

When I added my FMF powercore, k&N filter and 165 main, it seemed to add a lot of high end power. The bike would pull much harder in the higher RPMs then it used to. Yes the dyno only shows one or two horses, but it does this right where the stock powerband drops off. If I added a rev kit I suspect it would keep on pulling through those extra 1000 rpms. Sounds killer too.

Anyone see that raptor pipe shootout in dirtwheels?? they consistantly tweeked 10-13 more hp just with a pipe, filter and jet kit. d a mn!!!
    Mitch
    00' TRX400EX
    Wiseco 11:1 piston, Webcam, "custom" dented FMF powercore, Elka tripple rate front shocks w/cans, Laeger +2 A-arms, Elka revalved stock rear shock, Houser +1.25 Swingarm, RAD bearing carrier, RPM dominator axle, Gussetted stock frame, E-brake removed w/LSR block off, MSR aluminum bars, Shaved fenders, AC propeg nerfs, K&N air filter, headlights and taillight removed

My website, check it out

That dirtwheels shootout was a big load of dog pooo. NO way did it add that much..there's already been a big debate out here on that,,not possible.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast