Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which type of oil?

Question Which type of oil?

I'm curious about which kind of oil I should or can put in my 400. It is alright to use motor oil for cars or do you have to use a motorcycle specific oil? I feel dumb for asking that, but out of personal convience it'd be eaiser to go a couple miles to an auto parts store or wal-mart to buy oil than to go into the next town where the delership is. Of course if it's going to mess up my engine I'd rather drive the extra miles rather than tear up my engine. Thanks for your help.
    2001 yellow 400EX
    stock for now
    Second place is the first loser.
    "American made by my Ma and PA, EX rider by the grace of God"

CYCLE WEST
    ATV Service & Sales
    Petaluma, CA. 707-769-5242

Arrow

OK, here is the deal. Go to your local Wal-Mart. In the oil section you will see some Mobil 1 synthetic motorcyle oil. Buy two quarts. End of story.

Well put knighttime....

But ya forgot to mention the oil filter,,,,I'll let ya slide this time...

Order your filter from denniskirk, james lucky, or rockymountain atv,,,much much cheaper,,plus you can buy them in bulk and not have to worry about buying anymore for a long time...

Thumbs up

thanks rico. is there any specific brand or weight you prefer, if so why? god that sounds like an essay question from high school but i'm curious. thanks again
    2001 yellow 400EX
    stock for now
    Second place is the first loser.
    "American made by my Ma and PA, EX rider by the grace of God"

CYCLE WEST
    ATV Service & Sales
    Petaluma, CA. 707-769-5242

I use 15/50 Mobil 1 synthetic. You want to use the thicker oil since it breaks down easy. Especially in the summer time when it gets hot. In the winter i would run somthing a little thinner. I also use EMGO oil filters. You can get those from JC whitney for 1.99. I usually buy like 10 and that last me a long long time.

Andrew
    Thunder Racing 2 stroke engine builders

2003 Suzuki Z400
    1999 Yamaha R6, Too many mods to list

Arrow

Just buy the freakin oil from Wal-Mart and be done with it. The Mobil 1 synthetic motorcylce oil only comes in one viscosity!:grr

The Mobil1 15w50 is different from the v-twin motorcycle oil, which is a 20w50 (i think). The 15w50 is about half the price of the v-twin, which runs $7.99 a quart. I have run both and had great results with either. I am running the v-twin stuff right now because it is so friggin hot in Texas. I have used it several rides now and it hasn't changed color at all. You can't go wrong with either of these. I'll change back to the 15w50 when the temps drop a little.
    2001 MX Race 400EX - TQRA Series Racer #721

My Quad Site
    TQRA Site
    C&D Racing - 308-696-7805
    Bullet Motorsports

"You can't have a battle of the wits with someone that's unarmed."

Originally posted by knighttime
    Just buy the freakin oil from Wal-Mart and be done with it. The Mobil 1 synthetic motorcylce oil only comes in one viscosity!:grr

...WORD! I'm running the same stuff and after you run the quad on a hot day, you can pull the dip stick out and actually see oil sticking to it. Unlike the other oils I've tried...

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

Originally posted by FoxRacing400EX
    thanks rico. is there any specific brand or weight you prefer, if so why? god that sounds like an essay question from high school but i'm curious. thanks again
    I use the mobil 1 V-twin synthetic 20w-50,,but it's hard on the wallet at 8 bucks a quart

Owning a shop I hate to see folks running to walmart and buying their Mobil 1. A little history about Mobil 1. These guys decided to come out with a motorcycle specific oil because everyone else was doing it. Guess what they never sold it in a motorcycle shop, just auto parts and walmart. The next time you have a tech question ask the lady that stocks the oil shelves at walmart to solve your problems. The big money is not just for the oil but everything else you can gain at a shop. I personally recommend and use nothing but MAXIMA 15-50 full synthetic in all my 4 stroke machines. Thats the oil I use in my everyday shop usage. I have never had an oil related failure in a 2 or 4 stroke using maxima oils. I have personally seen the results of car oil used in motorcycles. Just recently I rebuilt a 98 VN1500 that had a mere 26k miles on it. The owner had never used anything but castrol 20-50. The oil cost him 1800 bucks. Oil is very cheap insurance. Buy the best and change it often. Oh and support your shop, theres a lot more there than just a bunch of eggheads trying to sell you a new quad, you may have to be smart enough to explore it. As for the oil filters I use EMGO, they are as good as the oem and a lot cheaper. You can check out cheap prices at the web site below.

Thanks
    Terry

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast