Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any ice racing tips for me?

any ice racing tips for me?

Well, this weekend is my first race on the ice..

They run both a circle type track, and a minature road course type track (both left + right hand turns..)

I just got done studding the rear tires (440 studs per tire!).. Have to mount and stud the front tires tommorow..

I've got the bike lowered down front + rear (durablue lowering kits)..

Anyone have any other hints / tips / tricks on setting up for the ice..?

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

you might find out about lowering the tire pressure,,, but i dont know about that.....umm lean into the turns and have fun!
    id say you pretty much set...

how long did it take you to put the studs in

There's only one stud on my bike!

hey leo, how much did the complete lowering kit cost? Are you gonna ride it like that all year? How much ground clearance did you loose? I just think that If you could lower the center of gravity, you could go faster in turns and stay more stable.
    ~2001 Yellow 400ex, K&N filter with Pre-filter, POLISHED Supertrapp IDS2 silencer, 20" rear Holeshots tires, Braking brake pads, Black Shockers Shockcovers, Renthal 400ex bend bars w/ oury grips, Pro Design tether kill switch, JE 440 big bore 10.5-1 piston, Dyno Jet Stage 2 kit, Removed air box lid, Duncan Racing aluminum nerfs, AC Racing full chassis skid plate, Race cut plastic, AC Racing mudscreen bumper, and a 42 pilot jet and removed choke.
    *SOLD*

Lowering the quad does exactly what you said, however with the durablue kits, its way too low for anything but flattrack. If you wanan race mx or xc or anything you can only go so low, in that case, get some ZPS style shocks, they allow it to sit low but still have full shock travel.

good luck leo, I would just do what was mentioned, LEAN in the turns!!!!

Only tip I have for ice racing is : make sure the lake is frozen!
    SOLD
    2003 KFX400...Elka, LSR, BIGGUN, 909, AC, holeshot mx, Tamers.

canadian400ex

Only tip I have for ice racing is : make sure the lake is frozen!
    I think that is the best advice.
    06 LTR450

Originally posted by 400exJOE
    hey leo, how much did the complete lowering kit cost? Are you gonna ride it like that all year? How much ground clearance did you loose? I just think that If you could lower the center of gravity, you could go faster in turns and stay more stable.
    I wouldn't trust the kits for any type of jumping / rough terrain..

The rear lowering link winds up making the rear shock linkage VERY low to the ground, and you have to remove the skidplate to use it.. The front look strong enough for ice / flat - track racing, but I wouldn't try and big air with them, for sure

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

Originally posted by trx400ex
    how long did it take you to put the studs in
    About 40 minutes per rear tire.. Not to bad considering there is about 44 rows of 10 studs per row..

Poor cordless screwdriver got so hot I had to keep stopping to let it rest + cool down

Leo

Leo

Post some pics of your ice machine!
    '00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast