Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need advice (the more the better)

need advice (the more the better)

i just sold my full MX 400ex, and i regret it already. i am already on the search for another quad. my deal is i want one now and am not for sure whether to buy another 400ex and set it up for MX, or go with a MX 250r, or wait to see if honda steps up to the plate and releases a kick a** quad later this year. i know for a fact the have produce several 450ex prototypes, but will thet release it to sell.

what do you all think?? should i wait on honda, build a 400ex (440ex), or build a 250r? i will race some but i am never gonna go pro (i wish i could but i am not independantly wealthy). i race at some friends mx tracks. what do you all think?
    thanks for any help...

ULTIMATELY ITS YOUR MONEY. BUT ITS HARD TO BEAT THE PULL OF A GOOD BUILT 250R, AND THE HANDLING......WELL WE ALL KNOW WHAT HAS BEEN SAID ABOUT THAT.

GET THE R, UPGRADE THE SUSPENSION, HAVE LRD DO A 300 RESLEAVE KIT, AND HOLD ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE.

Ditto, only go with a 265 instead of the 300cc!

why a 250r

why a 250r over a 400ex. i have never had a 2 stroke and know they make crazy power, but what about reliability, and riding style? i will be running against big bore 400ex's, cannondales and raptors. also which one is cheaper to build?

Get the 400ex,,,,,, the 250r is a nice quad no doubt but it's almost time for it to step down from the throne and let the thumpers step up..I don't think more and more pro's are goin with 4 strokes because there slower,,,get the thumper.

Go with the 250r. Many pros may be switching to 4 strokes, but not the 400ex. In every other class at the GNCs, except the 4 stroke classes, 250r own.

matt
    88'/02' FastWay250r long gone

RHINO99......
    I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT MOTOR WORK ON MY 88R WHICH IS STILL ON THE FIRST BORE. AROUND 1998 I BOUGHT A MOTOR KIT FROM NACS, WHICH THEY DONT OFFER ANY LONGER, FOR MY 85 ATC 250R AND THE PORT JOB IS DONE BY FMF. AND I LIKED THE FACT THAT IT WAS, AND STILL IS STOCK BORE AND STROKE. THE POWER IS GREAT, SINCE THE FRONT END IS CONSIDERABLY LIGHTER THAN A QUAD. SUPPOSEDLY AT THE TIME, IT WAS THE KIT THEIR RACERS USED.

ANYHOW WHO MAKES A GOOD 265 PORTED KIT. I WOULD RATHER BUY THE CYLINDER THAN SEND MINE IN TO HAVE THE WORK DONE SO I CAN STILL RIDE UP UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE.

SORRY FOR GETTING OFF THE SUBJECT, BUT TO ANSWER A PREVIOUS QUESTION THE RELIABILITY OF A 250R IS JUST AS GOOD AS THE PRESON MAINTAINING THE MOTOR.

thanks rico

i am thinking of another 400ex too. what would you suggest motor wise? i want to run with the big boys. i am conteplating a roll design suspension but may go with lone star instead due to the cost. i am gonna go all out this time around. what do you suggest?

Chris Waters,

I got my 265 top end from LRD, I bought the cylinder and all from them, for the exact same reason that you stated, and plus the fact that I now have a backup cylinder just in case. They did an awesome job on mine, custom ported it and cut the head for my altitude and riding style, this thing rips. They claim it will make between 45 and 50hp and its the exact same top end they send pros that run their motors. Its got a cool head with I think 19cc dome (gotta run race gas though), its ported like you wouldnt believe, I looked at the ports compared to the ones on my stock cylinder and they dont even look close to the same, the LRD ones are just HUGE in comparison! Its super fast, my buddy has a 300cc kit from LRD and they said that they will make about the same HP, and I believe it, he rode mine and just got off and said "f$&# this dude, I am ordering a 265, but with powervalve!" and he did, only from sparks, now I cant even touch it! haha, but thats what you get for an extra lot of money!
    LRD will charge you a core charge if you dont send them a cylinder though, and thats an extra 300 bucks, but you can keep yours until you get the LRD and then send it in and they will refund your money. I think out the door with a 36mm carb, cool head, dome and all that good stuff mine was right at $1000 or something very close, luckily sponsors paid for it, as well as my rear TCS shock!
    I think you will be real happy with LRD, but dont hesitate to look at other places, Sparks of course won the championship this year, which basically means that the 2-strokes arent obsolete yet!
    Sorry to write this long off subject!

About which 400 motor to get, if you are really sold on a 400ex, then go with a 426 if you are racing MX. TC Racing seems to make a pretty good kit and I would probably go with that. The 426 revs quicker than a 440, which is good. A 416 might not be bad either, I just dont likethe 440, except in the woods, then I love it. However, my R I promise will beat most built 400exs. Like was said earlier, the pros are goin to 4-strokes, but they arent riding 400ex's they are riding YZ's and CRF's and DRZ's, which arent the same thing as I am sure you know! And JJ just won the championship on a 2-stroke, mind you it was a powervalved sparks topend. But you could get a decent used R and put on a 1600 topend for probably teh same as a stock 400ex if you shopped around. Just get one with a good frame and a seemingly good bottom end, and change everything else to aftermarket!!!

The best advise I can give you is this:

Always look both directions before you take a leak.
    Always think before you break wind.
    Never say 'never' unless its the last thing you'll ever do.
    Always keep a stiff upper hip.
    One man's trash is another man's Yamaha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast