Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Oil Tank.......Any Help

Leaky Oil Tank.......Any Help

Has anyone had this problem?????? Here I am 5 days away from a week long riding trip and I noticed this on my quad tonite. HELP PLEASE
    It appears it's leaking from where the washer that's imbedded in the rubber grommet meets up with the drain on the tank.
    05 450R
    02 400EX
    02 Kasea 90

its possibly a hairline crack where the down spout meets the tank
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

Ya, that's a possibility. I haven't taken it off yet to inspect it, but I wiped it off when I first noticed it and came back about 2 hours later. It kinda appears that the oil is oozing up from inside the rubber. I dunno, looks like a late night now.
    05 450R
    02 400EX
    02 Kasea 90

That's a really common place for it to crack. If you can get the drain bolt out without busting it completely, remove your oil tank, take it to a professional welder, and have him reinforce it. In the future, use a torque wrench to ensure that you don't over-tighten that plug, or the plug on the side of your engine.
    '00 416ex -- 11:1 Wiseco, stage 1 HotCams, LEXX slip-on w/ modded header, ASR +2 arms, 450r shocks, G-Force axle, FST style cooler, Trail Tech bars and clamp

Temporarily retired from my extremely short (but successful) racing career.

Maybe some IXCR in the near future.

A government big enough to give you everything you want is strong enough to take everything you have. - Thomas Jefferson

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.
    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

the updated tanks have a reinforcing plate to help prevent the spout from flexing.
    Staff Photographer ATVRiders.com
    Senior Photographer ATVInsider
    Staff Photographer GNCC Racing/ATV MX
    Staff Photographer Vurboffroad
    Staff Photographer Cycle News

What is the stock tank made of? I've heard aluminium and I've heard stainless steel. I have no idea. My 17 yr old nephew just started back up his Vo-Tech classes at school. And honestly, that little fart can lay some beautiful welds with a TIG. He just might have a new class project Monday.
    05 450R
    02 400EX
    02 Kasea 90

the tank is made of aluminum
    2003 yella 400ex
    Fully built TC 425ex, 11:1 piston, Carillo Rod, C&D racing flex steel gasket, TC Rev box, k&n filter, outerwears, renthal bars, Magura Hydraulic clutch w/ braided line, UM oil tank, no parking brake, tinner air scoops, sparks x-6 pipe, oversized studs, AC pro-peg nerfs,
    fcr 39mm carb, Duncan Racing Graphics Kit, razr's on all 4
    Elka triple ssd fronts and dual ssd rears, burgard bearing carrier, and a little oil temp gauge. Chrome Burgard a-arms, Red-vein PC job done by Pappy (you the man), PRM Underbody skidplate
    Thanks C&D Racing...my home away from home

BRING IT

Thanks for all the quick help guys. Much appreciated.
    05 450R
    02 400EX
    02 Kasea 90

Get it fixed and start replacing the crush washer at every oil change. And if you're a real torque ape then use a torque wrench. After a while, You will learn the right torque and feel when the crush washer gives and the torque wrench will no longer be needed. LOL I bet a crush over a 100 of those washers a week at work
    Heres to all the men in women in uniform!

Originally posted by soggyrider
    Get it fixed and start replacing the crush washer at every oil change. And if you're a real torque ape then use a torque wrench. After a while, You will learn the right torque and feel when the crush washer gives and the torque wrench will no longer be needed. LOL I bet a crush over a 100 of those washers a week at work
    Anyplace other then your work or Service Honda to the crush washers? What is the actual size of them? I'm sure someone other than Honda makes them

Joe
    ATVRiders Janitorial Technician

!!!!!DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast