Thread: E-series Questions

E-series Questions

I'm in the same boat as others it looks like. I ordered a "kit" from Golden West that had the E-series pipe, a new jet (168) I think, a split fire plug, and K&N Filter. I put on the pipe and the filter and I couldn't get the darn thing to run at all (draining my battery of course) so I finally get it to run and It coughs, won't idle, and basically won't run under WOT. So I go ahead and change to the jet they send and put in the split fire. Same exact thing. Take it to the local shop (Not a Honda Shop) pick it up a couple of days later and it seems to be running good. He said he took out the split fire and put the stock jet back in. So off I go to Little Sahara last weekend and I'm getting smoked by stock 400's. Take it to the shop there (good guy's) they put a 162 jet in it and take the air box top off (I've got an outerwear) and I'm still getting pulled by stock 400's. I even traded with my buddy just to see if it was me but It's not. I'm running the pipe just like they sent it with I believe 12 disc. Sorry this is so long winded any ideas anyone?

That does not make sense me. All I have is a WB slip on and a WB CDI box and it will beat a stocker hands down. I did not rejet but I am at 600 above sea level and don't have any airbox mods. I wish I could help but nothing comes to mind that you did wrong except your jetting may be way off. Good luck.
    I have a solution to your low end problem, keep it in the high end.

2000 Red 400EX
    Renthal Bars
    WhiteBrothers Silencer and Rev Limiter
    DG Front Bumper, Nerf Bars, and 6 Pack Rack

You may need to increase your fuel at the needle by raising it one notch.

I have a WB slip-on and modded stock filter w/ 160 main jet (thinking about going to a 158) and it's definitely faster than a stocker. I would recommend lowering the clip on the pilot needle one notch, that will help a lot with low-end throttle response. Try a 158 main jet, sounds like you are running a bit too rich. Good luck, running right that WB should make your quad rip.
    Last edited by Wheelie; 08-14-2001 at 01:37 PM.
    2000-440ex Stroker--Fan Cooled

Houser +1 A-Arms, Elka Triple rates, Laegers +1 1/4 Swingarm, G-Force Axle w/Durablue Anti-Fade Locknut, 14/36 Gearing, DID X-Ring Chain, C&D Revalved Rear, Maier Silver Plastic, Steel Grey PCed Frame, SPAL Fan, AC Bumper, Pro Armour Footpeg Extensions, Renthal Bars, Yoshimura Full Exhaust, 450R Carb w/ZR's Adaptor, K&N w/o Lid, Powroll 440 Stroker w/stg 3 HC, P&P Head, HD rod, GT Thunder HD Studs, and Timing chain, AMR Monster Coil, 4 Degree Advance Key and a 12oz lighter flywheel. Now at 12.5:1 Compression!

450R Front brake upgrade using 06-up Spindles and 07' hubs.

450R Rear Brake Upgrade

Kenda Knarly XC Radial 21x11x9 Rear Tires

Shorai Lithium Iron Battery

Running E85--Jetting: 70 pilot, 240 main, HRC needle on bottom notch and shimmed.

Are you running with a modified air box?
    I would recommend you do (no lid or holes)
    and put in a 160 main and raise the needle one notch and even may want to install a 40 or 42 pilot and she will rip and be real close to jetted properly.