Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pipe and k&n power kit??????

Pipe and k&n power kit??????

I am deffenlty getting a white brothers s bend for my 250ex. My dealer says I should get a K&N power kit, which comes with a air filter, jet kit and some other things. I am going to have my dealer instal it cause im not going to mess it up playing with the jets. The power kit is 100 bucks, is it worth it? On the ads they say it adds about a 15% power increse. Would I be better off just getting the white brothers s bend pipe or will this power kit make a huge difference?
    thanks
    joey

r u asking which one you should get if so i would say the pipe but when u get a pipe u have to re-jet and i would put a K&N wit prefilter on since i jetted it so i cant really pick one they do to different things
    thanks to my 04 sponsers: broque ward racing, ac racing, fibe industries, tag metals, rtc racing products, fmx racing, pappy's performance coatings
    current bikes
    250r-esr 310/ keihin 38pwk / jrd + +1 long travel/ fabtech 88 swing/ front pep triple rezzies comp adjust/ galfer/ hiper beads/ razr mx/ tag/ durablue/ ac/
    ^just a taste^
    300ex- r- razrs douglas .190 f- fast treckers douglas .190, ac bumper w/ mudscreen, renthal ,trail tech lights, K&N filter, Outerwear, K&N jet kit, powroll airbox lid, hetrick pipe, custom length works dual rate fronts with rezzies, works rear quadstar shock with rezzie, graydon proline nerfs, lsr axcaliber axle, burgard +1 400ex a-arms, galfer +2 brake lines

old bike(s)- 01 250ex

It will help. If ya have the money go ahead and get it. The air filter is a big help but with the pipe and the filter you might run lean and that is what the jet kit is for. That way you can tune your carb. It comes with a new needle jet and a crap load of different main jets. If ya ever decide to do anything else to the engine besides just a pipe these will be nice to already have. But if not just buy the pipe and the K&N air filter and see how it runs, if its lean then just buy a couple of bigger main jets. They are pretty cheap. Its only worth it in the long run. Hope I helped

Oh and if I were you I would see if they make the e-series pro meg for the 250ex. I have the s-bend and I am now wanting a header pipe too. I hear they make a big difference.
    ------------------------------------------
    quadless,
    stolen about 4 months ago
    2002 yellow 250ex
    finally recovered and now insurance co. owns it. not gonna be buying back either.

ONE HUNDRED BUCKS for a few jets and an airfilter!?!?!? I'm sorry, I could not justify spending that much. If your dealer is doing the install, just tell them to jet it and buy yourself an airfilter separate. You might spend around $10 in jets total, once they have your jetting worked out.

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

aww... I know what you mean, its not worth it if ya know what jets ya need. But it comes with more than a few jets. It comes with 14 different main jets a new long tapered needle jet with 5 clips instead of the stock 3. And the kit comes with the filter that is already like 50 dollars. The precharger and the recharger cleaner stuff which is 20 some dollars there. So for what you are getting its cheaper to go that way. I bought the crap separately and spent more than a 100. Because my retarded dealer told me that they dont have a powerkit yet for the 250ex. Which I think they just didnt have new catologs yet and it wasnt in their books. So thats why I said just get a couple main jets if you arent going to do any other mods in the future. Like he said its only like 10 bucks that way.
    quadless,
    2002 yellow 250ex
    finally recovered and now insurance co. owns it. not gonna be buying back either.

The power kit comes with jets, needles, springs, shims, K&N air filter, Pre- RE charger. I added all this up and I can save about 5 bucks buying this k&N power kit rather than buying it all seperate. i was wondering do I need all this stuff. Am I better off buying the pipe and air filter and than mamby buying dome tires with the extra money from not buying th epower kit. I dont know if I need all these needles, springs and shims. I dont want to make it less reliable and I really want to put some new tires on it. Should I buy the kit or keep all that money and buy some tires.
    thanks
    joey

Listen, I am going to save you some major $$$. Go find out what size your stock mainjet and pilot jet is. Go to your dealer and order the next size up jets...maybe even two sizes up. Go get yourself an airfilter (with all the extras you need to clean it). Since you are just adding a pipe, this is all you will need to change.

I dont get when people buy that K&N kit when they "usually" only use 2-3 jets out of the entire kit. I have enough jets to run my stock pipe (summer and winter) and my FMF pipe with airfilter (summer and winter) and I might have $25 in jets. I paid around $30 for my Unifilter.....so I have $55 total. If I do a 416 kit, well I will spend a few bucks on some new jets. But until then, I dont need 100 jets sitting in my garage. (sarcasm there )

I'm just trying to save ya some cash for those tires you are talkin about....

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

okay add it all up again dude. I think the filter is ruffly 50 dollars + the cleaner stuff is ruffly 15 and say 20 dollars in jets. plus if ya want the precharger for the filter it will cost some more too so you are really only saving 5 or 10 dollars if anything. And you wont ever need to buy new jets with the kit. So its your choice on what you want to do. If you are ever gonna do anything internal to the engine just get the kit. you will save money in the long run.
    quadless,
    2002 yellow 250ex

Thank. Im not gonna get that kit. What type of difference in jetting is there between running in the wintere and summer. I want to be able to start so tell me what jets to get.
    thanks
    joey

I can only speak from dealing with my 400EX.

In the winter, having a larger pilot jet (42) helps it start in the cold much easier. Also, you have to remember, if you live in a climate that is around 80 in the summer and 10-20 in the winter, the air density is different. I have noticed that I have to run a larger mainjet in the winter because the cold air is "thicker" and causes my quad to run leaner. In the summer, I open up my airbox and back off the mainjet one size. This has worked perfect for me....still running the same plug from this past summer and it runs great.

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast