Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Tank breakage

Oil Tank breakage

Has anyone experience a breakage in theyre oil tank.
    I went to change the oil,,,i couldnt get the bottom bolt loose so i torqued harder and the bolt along with the hole fubber falnge and washer literally broke away from the tank.. Now i have this quarter size hole in the bottom of my oil tank.
    So, i guess im buying a new one.

seems to be a fairly common problem...

oil tanks are expensive, even from www.servicehonda.com

depending on the age of your 400EX you might want to see your dealer..

moving this thread to the motor forum.

Leo
    You know the world is going crazy when France is accusing the US of arrogance, and Germany doesn't want to go to war.

why can't the bottom of th tank have a new nut welded to it? That would surely be cheaper than a new tank.
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

welding oil tank

I would caution you about welding on the oil tank. You have the potential for an explosion there. The tank would have to be very clean and don't use a flamable cleaner. It may need to be filled with water before repairs are attempted. I've seen some serious injuries from this type of thing. no it wasn't me.

Yeah, sounds like you may as well go with one of the aftermarket oil tanks with the larger capacity since you will have to spend a bunch of money anyways. Why did you OVER torque it to break it loose? Did I read your post wrong? JIM
    ?????-----------------------------mine

1999 KTM 65 SX/ #100/------son's

That night the wife and me went out to a movie (american Pie 2)
    When i came home i noticed my freinds came over took it apart and welded it back together. I rode it yesterday for the first time to break it in from the overbore and it seemed to hold up pretty well. I think im going to order a new one just incase.
    THanks for the replys
    Rhan

I was changing the oil in my husbands 440ex this morning..the bottom of the oil tank cracked as I was trying to get the drain bolt out. I didn't use a lot of force either. (and NO I don't over tighten the bolt) I gave it a little nudge here, a small nudge there and it wouldn't budge. I sat down on the ground to think and saw I small drop of oil..I knew I was in trouble because the bolt was still tight.
    Rob took it to the shop and they are trying to get Honda to pay for it, so far it isn't going too well. They ordered a new tank for it.
    I have read where sooo many tanks have broken.. ..this stinks.
    Later, Sher

welding the oil tank should not cause an explosion.........if you remove the oil line, the tank will be vented in more than one place.........a qualified welder will be needed since the tank is such thin metal, and a qualified welder will have no trouble.
    In memory of Christopher (Chrissy) Riley Andrews / 1-24-02 to 1-23-06
    we love you Chrissy

my 440 has a "somewhat"same problem. with the drain bolt tight...it still leaks oil. lil drops of it. but in one night there is a puddle.
    i have gotten a new washer. i have taken it to a mechanic. and still it leaks.

does anyone have this probelm.....and what is goin on with it??
    thanx

I have not broke the oil tank yet but once after i changed the oil i went for a ride and when i was riding my foot kept slipping off the peg and i stopped on got off and looked and oil was blowing out of the crank case bolt hole! I turned it off and about a quart of oil was still left in it so i hope it didn't hurt anything... I just didn't get the bolt tight enough! And that bolt is a honda car part number and my dealer didn't have it but i got one and he said I should replace the lock washer every couple of changes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast