Thread: how long till u break in a 400ex

Question how long till u break in a 400ex

Hi i em wondering when can i start to test out the new 440 kit in it i bought the bike used so i didnt have to worry bout breakin in the bike so i em wondering how long 10 hours someone told me some said 10 tanks of gas and some say 100miles so can somone help i be very thank full thanxs tumbler:devil
    i have 1986 TRX 250R and i LOVe it
    fmf sincler, boysen rad valve,k&N air filter, red mairer plastic rear and jetted, pure sport realtors in rear, maxxis razrs on front love the realtors, 250Rs RULE

I think its 10 hours? 10 tanks of gas would take a long time. You have no way to tell how may miles you got on her unless you got one of those Speedometer things!
    Speed is 95% rider and 5% bike, better make that 5% count!

2000 TC 505EX Complete TC Motor and everything else you can imagine and more!!

It really depends on how you break it in. I have always said two tanks as a rule but, depending on how you ride, it could take less/more time.
    '02 400 EX - Bling, Bling !

BREAKIN PROCEDURE

Ride easy for 15 mins. Let is completely cool down. Ride easy again for 15 minutes. Let is completely cool down again.

You are now broken in

'00 Budweiser 420SS, XR cam, JE 10.8:1 416 piston, FMF 4Q with Powerbong , AC Pro Pegs, skid & bumper, UniFilter, 6 airbox vents, 42 pilot; 165 main; clip 4 down, chokeless, stock fuel screw position (= 2 1/4 turns out), hydraulic clutch

Re: BREAKIN PROCEDURE

Originally posted by knighttime
    Ride easy for 15 mins. Let is completely cool down. Ride easy again for 15 minutes. Let is completely cool down again.

You are now broken in

Yep, this is the correct method when you are only breaking in the cam and rings. Just make sure you DO NOT let the bike sit and idle for a period of time...that is very bad when breaking in a new cam.

Eric
    Eric

- '00 400EX
    ...with some stuff.

I have always done 2 tanks of gas and then i change the oil. I then run 2 more tanks through and change the oil, adjust valves, and new spark plug.

I always considered mine broken in after 2 tanks. Dealers say to bring it in after about 10 hrs. to change oil and adjust valves.