Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

4strokes vs. 2strokes

two stroke or four stroke what are the advantages and disadvatages
    Last edited by 300exlunatic; 07-15-2003 at 04:48 PM.
    300ex
    t-4 exhaust
    k&N and pre filter
    dyno jet kit
    holeshots
    dg alloy series grab bar
    ngk plug

lets say we have a 2-stroke 400cc engine and a 4-stroke 400cc engine. the 4 stroke is going to have more tourge and more power..... but the 2 stroke is going to be faster revving and create a better top end.

so the advantage to 2-strokes is the speed. disadvantages are top ends dont last as long as 4 stroke top ends. and u gotta mix the gas.

4 stroke disadvantages are, that there harder to work on internally, a lot more moving parts. and wont create the top end that a 2 stroke would create.

2 strokes tend to foul plugs a lot easier too
    2001 Red 416ex #82

Parting out a 2000 Blaster
    Click here For blaster Parts

Parting out a 2001 TRX400EX as well, PM me for information

Since 2 strokes produce power every revolution, while 4 strokes produce power every OTHER revolution, it takes almost two times the dispacement of a four-stroke to equal the power of a two-stroke (i.e. a 250r has slightly more peak power than a 400EX)

Without a cam, valves, timing chain, ect, a two-stroke engine is much lighter than a four-stroke engine. A 250r engine weighs much less than a 400EX engine.

With higher revs, two-strokes require much more maintenance. They also produce more smoke and polution.
    Duncan Racing 340PV, +2 A-arms, +4 LSR axle, and a host of other goodies.

So a 500cc 4-stroke is the same as a 250cc 2-stroke? If so why are there not more 500cc motors out there?
    "Computers don't make mistakes. What they do, they do on purpose"

if thats true then my 300ex wouldnt beat a blaster but iv smoked evry blaster i have raced
    300ex
    t-4 exhaust
    k&N and pre filter
    dyno jet kit
    holeshots
    dg alloy series grab bar
    ngk plug

Originally posted by RustyShakelferd
    So a 500cc 4-stroke is the same as a 250cc 2-stroke? If so why are there not more 500cc motors out there?
    It doesn't come down to a simple displacement issue, because there are other factors that affect power. Compression, ignition timing, vavle timing, ect...

I think the main reason there are not more 500cc is because of race regulations. If I'm not mistaken (and somebody feel free to correct me on this) the limit is in the pro 250cc class was 265cc two-stroke, or 426cc four-stroke. However, I think that was recently changed to 450cc four-stroke. If a 500cc is too big to race, then why stop there? Just bump it to 600plus, like the DS650 or the Raptor.

Originally posted by 300exlunatic
    if thats true then my 300ex wouldnt beat a blaster but iv smoked evry blaster i have raced
    There are more factors than displacement. The blaster is one step above a mini, it's not quite "high-performance"

However, put $500 into your 300EX, and $500 into the blaster, and that blaster will make you look ridiculous in any drag race.

yall bout summed that up

the displacement regulations (around here at least) is 80 over your stock bore. making a 250r a 265r, and 400ex a 440ex..so on and so forth
    I didn't fail, I found another front end that doesn't work

ALL true, but now theres a new hi-performance 4 stroke, the 450! And with a few little mods it put out around 50 hp, and thats about the sam e as my 350r! It depends on the engine too i guess...

I love both, my r hasnt ever ran riht since i got it and im finally almost there, so I cant really say yet, but i think id be a much better rider on a 4-stroke, cause on the trch u can come into a corner a gear too high and still make it just fine. I love the power of both, bt shure get tired of jets, mix, and race gas. But they shure rip WHEN running right!
    Race- Yamaha
    '06 klx110

HiPer
    Powermadd
    Alba
    Lonestar
    Houser
    Dave's Extreme Motorsports
    Upp Racing
    Black Pearl Seal Coating

We will always miss, but never forget Kelly "Steelrod" Chang... R.I.P man...

when they run is correct. but also consider that your on a 17-13 year old bike
    I didn't fail, I found another front end that doesn't work

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast