Thread: Hot Shocks!

Hot Shocks!

I run neoprene shock covers on my PEP ZPS fronts. For the first time, I felt my shocks and they were more than warm. I know heat is not good, would I be better off running shockwears for cooling purposes or nothing at all and have dirt beat up on the shaft seal? I'm trying to make the shocks last as long as possible between rebuilds. Thanks for your help.

I think you should run shockwears. They arent neoprene are they ? I run them and have never had a problem with shocks rising in temperature and they protect the shocks from the elements which I really like
    Looking for any stock/aftermarket banshee parts....pm me

they normally get pretty warm. I dont think its that big of a deal unless they were so hot u couldnt touch them

keep the shockwears on, its ok if they heatup after a lot of riding, make sure that you didn't kink the rezzie line and youll be fine

after a few laps my buddies pep's get so hot it almost feels like touching the engine.

It all depends on how hard you ride your quad and how much you make those shocks work. Im suprised they havent thought of putting heat sinks on the shock rezzies.

Norrisboat, you bring up a good point. After my ride, I felt the rezzie and couldn't really tell a temp difference from ambient temp. Then I removed the neoprene shock cover and felt the top of the shock and it was considerably warm. That's what made me think that the covers were making my shocks heat up cause there was no air movement carrying the heat away. So should I switch to Shockwares? Any input? Thanks.

Originally posted by deepcj7
    Norrisboat, you bring up a good point. After my ride, I felt the rezzie and couldn't really tell a temp difference from ambient temp. Then I removed the neoprene shock cover and felt the top of the shock and it was considerably warm. That's what made me think that the covers were making my shocks heat up cause there was no air movement carrying the heat away. So should I switch to Shockwares? Any input? Thanks.
    I dont think you are hurting much, but I would make the switch just incase
    Looking for any stock/aftermarket banshee parts....pm me

never heard of that happening b4
    #32 Nick Edmundson-

My rideSOLD) 2003 Crf450, arens frame, hermann +3 LT arms, lonestar stearing stem, lonestar +4 axle, PEP zps LT fronts, Axis dual rate rear, cross-eyed +1 1/4 swingarm, FCR 40 carb, AC propeg nerfs,AC belly skidplate, rear hipers , lonestar anit-fade, aluminum airbox, o'neal bars, baldwin motorsports front hubs, quad-tech carbon fiber hood, baldwin bar clamp, rear-klaws front- holeshots, and a bunch of other small things...IM me for pics of it.

AOL sn- nedmundson32

its normal. friction is everywhere.
    99' 406ex
    Elka/Renthal/Kenda
    06' LTR450
    Maxxis/Flexx/AC

these shocks are moving constantly and are moving very fast of course they are gonna get hot, its not a big deal run the shockwears it will be ok