Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 416 or 440

Question 416 or 440

Just a question for you guy's about the 416 and 440. Everybody seems to be really talking up the 416 over the 440 now, how come, what is better about either one? Just wondering for now but you never know when a rebuild might be needed.

Thanks,
    dads400ex
    Me- retired from riding, racing and miss it every day; oldest sons- 2005 450R, race ready and a lot of extras; Youngest son- sold his, he is in the US Army Infantry.

i am not positive bout the 416, but the 440 is awsome, it probaby has more torque than a 416, but the 16 may be faster

Marysville, OH Northern Cambria, PA (hometown)
    most people buy the 416 bc it runs cooler and it doesn't cost as much... the 440 needs a new sleeve the 406 416 and 426 use the stock sleeve and cost 100$ less... the 440 will run hotter and for the average rider won't even tell the differnce really on a race track... thats why i only have a 406 bc its runs cool and still gives me the power i need... they say the 416 revs quicker too...
    2009 Cbr600RR Phoenix

WE ARE PENN STATE!!!!!!

The reason guys are getting the 416 instead of a 440 is because of the Price, and the Reliability.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

I am wondering the same thing, but I am looking for torque. I remember reading somewhere about the 440 being oversquare which has less torque or vice versa, I cant remember. What is the very best cam to get for bottom end. Also I have heard that a well built 416(hardened rockers, stiffer valve springs, larger intake valves, cam, lowered valve guides etc,) will beat a 440 all over, is this worth it or should you go to the 440. It seems to me that that the walls of a 416 would be thin since you are just boring it .80 over, making it better for overhauls and the 440 if you damage your cylinder walls.

1986 350R - Drag
    2004 450R - XC

If you want Bottom End call TC Racing Engines. Everything Tom does is for Torque. He has a XC Cam that is all Bottom End. Call TC and tell him what you want and what kind of terrian you ride, he will tell you what to get.
    Thanks for the Support: Maier, Moto-Xperts, Rekluse, Teixeira Tech, Fox Racing Shox, BK Performance, DWT, Rath Racing, Quadtech, Streamline Brakes, Precision Racing Products, PowerMadd, Spider Grips, ASV Inventions, IMS Products, CV4, UNI.

the 440 kit with race fuel doesnt run any hotter than a 416 and they do have alot more power and if it it done correctly it has more speed has anyone ever put a 440 kit on there 400 and been dissapointed also about reliability i had my kit put on last year at the begining of the race season i race x-country outlaw and gncc i raced 21 2+ hour races plus all the riding i could find time for and i have had no problems with my engine i have 9 friends and 5 of us have 440 kits and 1 has 426 2have 416 and one is stock and all of the 440 have more speed and power than the others

i hav one on my 400, i must of had it jetted wrong, though, cause it fouled a plug afetr every ride, then it blew da piston, but when i gett it back, it will be perfect

x-rider, you are correct that a more oversquare motor makes less torque than a more undersquare one. However, that's assuming a bunch of things, a major one being that they are the same displacement.

A 400EX motor bored to 440cc will make less torque than one stroked to 440cc's, although the bored-out one will have other advantages, such as better RPM ability, quicker revving, etc.

Both motors will make much more torque than a 400cc motor.

Your description of a built 416 motor is for higher rpm. The stiffer valve springs, larger intake valves, cam, lowered valve guides etc. all come into play at high rpms. If you did all these things to a 440 motor, it would make more power than a 406, 416, 426 etc. Larger cams and valves normally decrease intake velocity and low-end torque, but make more power at higher RPM's.

Another thing that's really in favor of a bigger motor is it "hides" the bigger cams, carbs, etc. Take an 11:1 406 motor built with a 39mm carb, larger valves, long duration/high lift cam, fully ported, big exhaust, etc. and then drop an 11:1 440 piston in there. The power peak would be at a lower RPM, and it would really help out the low and mid range power. For pure drag racing, it might not make much difference in times. But for any type of riding that was less than full throttle all the time, the bigger motor would be better.

Thanks for the info Matt, I will try to use it. So if I am doing MX which I plan on doing this year, a 440 would be better? What would be best for torque if all of those things are for a high reving motor. So would the best motor be a 416 with a slightly stroked motor? Thanks for your help.

1986 350R - Drag
    2004 450R - XC

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast