Thread: Dirt tires in the sand??????

Dirt tires in the sand??????

I am leaving for Coos Bay in a few days for some dune riding, but since my 400EX is brand new, I am not going to ride it with paddles yet- it needs to get broken in. Can you dune riders tell me how the stock tires on a 400EX do in the sand.
    I'm asking this because I've never ridden a quad in the sand without paddles.

The stock tires will run decent, even better if the sands a little wet. Running paddles is alot better, but stock tires get ya around ok.
    440, Ross 11.5:1 piston, Web cam 479 grind, race port & polish, oversized valves, hardened rockers, CRF450 cam chain, 39mm FCR carb, lightened Flywheel, Stock clutch, WB CDI box, K&N filter , WhiteBrothers E-Series full exhaust, Sidewinder Chain, 15/36 gearing, open airbox, LSR Axcaliber +3.5 axle, Houser Racing +2 a-arms, Elka triple rate, fully adjustable front shocks, +1.25 Houser swingarm, Tag Metals X5 bars, Arens +1 steering stem, Muscle steering dampener, Stainless Steel brakelines, HeatSeeker temp. guage, Pro Design kill switch, DG Pro Series nerfs, 8 run Hauler paddles. ~~http://www.sounddomain.com/id/trick440ex~~

remember to be smooth when you take off and of course don't stop uphill it's a pain to dig your self out.

The stock tires work GREAT in the sand. I rarely use my paddles anymore.
    SMC

Hey thanks for all of your replies!

As an avid duner I can say that stock tires will get you around just fine in the sand... Well, until you decide to try to come up a hill that's even slightly steep. Remember, a lot of those hills have little or no run at them there and a LOT of trees. I would take the paddles.

Watch out for the idiot holes!!!
    2000 Banshee with all the bolt-ons
    1995 Warrior
    WyoDuner's Dune Review Site - Now with SAND DUNING Forums

Well, I got back from Coos and had very little trouble using stock tires in the sand. However, since the motor is now broken in, I can go ahead and put paddles on.